Subject: systemd timers?

From: Marc Haber <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2022 08:47:31 +0200

Package: cron-apt
Version: 0.13.0.1
Severity: wishlist

Hi,

would you be open to a patch that adds the possibility to use systemd
timers? Quite some packages in Debian have adopted a way to run through
systemd timers and systemd units on systems that have systemd, falling
back to the "old" cron job configuration if there is no systemd. for
example, apt is doing it this way.

I am attaching the four preliminary systemd units I am using on a test
system without problems. You might notice that they're using systemd's
RandomizedDelaySec feature and call cron-apt -i instead. I find that
more elegant.

The systemd units would also make it easier to run with reduced
privileges, having parts of the file system read-only and have other
nice security features. My preliminary units don't do that yet, but I
would be willing to do that if there is a chance to get the work into
the package.

Let me know what you think.

Greetings
Marc

-- System Information:
Debian Release: bookworm/sid
  APT prefers stable-security
  APT policy: (500, 'stable-security'), (500, 'unstable'), (500, 'testing'), (500, 'stable')
Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)

Kernel: Linux 5.18.3-zgsrv20080 (SMP w/4 CPU threads; PREEMPT)
Locale: LANG=de_DE.utf8, LC_CTYPE=de_DE.utf8 (charmap=UTF-8), LANGUAGE=en
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash
Init: systemd (via /run/systemd/system)

Versions of packages cron-apt depends on:
ii  apt  2.5.0

Versions of packages cron-apt recommends:
ii  cron [cron-daemon]                         3.0pl1-142
ii  exim4-daemon-light [mail-transport-agent]  4.95-6
ii  liblockfile1                               1.17-1+b1

cron-apt suggests no packages.

-- Configuration Files:
/etc/cron-apt/config changed [not included]
/etc/cron.d/cron-apt changed [not included]
/etc/logrotate.d/cron-apt changed [not included]

-- no debconf information

---

From: Ola Lundqvist <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 20:16:01 +0200

Hi Marc

Sorry again for the late reply. Yes such a patch can be considered.
It must be clear on how the cron-fallback would work though.

// Ola

-- 
 --- Inguza Technology AB --- MSc in Information Technology ----
|  [email-masked]                    [email-masked]            |
|  http://inguza.com/                Mobile: +46 (0)70-332 1551 |
 ---------------------------------------------------------------