Subject: Bug#1014659: logrotate: error: state file /var/lib/logrotate/status is world-readable

From: Holger Levsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2022 01:35:50 +0200

Package: logrotate
Version: 3.18.0-2+deb11u1
Severity: normal
X-Debbugs-Cc: [email-masked]
affects: release.debian.org

Dear Maintainer,

after the bullseye 11.4 point release I started to see the following mails
from logcheck:

Jul 10 00:00:24 mainframe logrotate[37314]: error: state file /var/lib/logrotate/status is world-readable and thus can be locked from other unprivileged users. Skipping lock acquisition...

I suspect the severity of this bug should be higher, but I will leave this to
you.

Thanks for maintaining logrotate!

-- 
cheers,
	Holger

 ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
 ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  holger@(debian|reproducible-builds|layer-acht).org
 ⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀  OpenPGP: B8BF54137B09D35CF026FE9D 091AB856069AAA1C
 ⠈⠳⣄

So what CAN we actually do? Well, individual decisions (eating less meat,
taking public transport, buying less fast fashion) are all important, but we
also need to change the system. As you may know, just 100 companies are
responsible for 71% of global emissions. (@JessicaTheLaw)
https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2017/jul/10/100-fossil-fuel-companies-investors-responsible-71-global-emissions-cdp-study-climate-change