Subject: Re: Processed: debconf bug in the text frontend

From: Joey Hess <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 15:06:00 -0400

retitle 101800 text frontend doesn't pause at end
thanks

Let me outline why this problem exists: The text frontend pauses each
time it has output a screenfull of text. If a message is the last thing
displayed, and it does not take up a whole screenfull, the frontend
can't tell what's going to happen next. This might be part of a large
dpkg run, which will scroll the message off the screen unread. If so it
would be best to pause before debconf exits. Or this might be a short
run, which will return the user to the prompt soon (or immediatly).
Pausing then is quite annoying, when you see:

  blab blah blah blah
  [More]
  prompt#

I actually tried this when I first noticed the problem least year and it
was IMHO too annoying to make up for the possibility that a message
might scroll by unread. I can't think of a good solution to this.

-- 
see shy jo