Subject: texlive-fonts-extra: broken font symlinks for junicode

From: Andreas Beckmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 11:18:41 +0200

Package: texlive-fonts-extra
Version: 2022.20230122-4
Severity: serious
User: [email-masked]
Usertags: piuparts

Hi,

during a test with piuparts I noticed your package ships (or creates)
broken symlinks:

3m10.3s ERROR: FAIL: Broken symlinks:
  /usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/fonts/truetype/public/junicode/Junicod -> ../../../../../../fonts/truetype/junicode/Junicode-BoldItalic.ttf (texlive-fonts-extra-links)
  /usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/fonts/truetype/public/junicode/Junicode-Bold -> ../../../../../../fonts/truetype/junicode/Junicode-Bold.ttf (texlive-fonts-extra-links)
  /usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/fonts/truetype/public/junicode/Junicode-It -> ../../../../../../fonts/truetype/junicode/Junicode-Italic.ttf (texlive-fonts-extra-links)
  /usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/fonts/truetype/public/junicode/Junicode.ttf -> ../../../../../../fonts/truetype/junicode/Junicode.ttf (texlive-fonts-extra-links)

fonts-junicode nowadays only ships *.otf, no more *.ttf.

The Junicode link names also look broken to me, like they got truncated
somehow, and missing the file extension.
Especially the first one: "Junicod".

fonts-alegreya-sans will not be in bookworm (and hasn't been in
bullseye), thus
  /usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/huerta/alegreya
also contains broken symlinks.

cheers,

Andreas

---

From: Preuße, Hilmar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 22:24:57 +0200

On 10.05.2023 11:18, Andreas Beckmann wrote:

Hello,

> fonts-junicode nowadays only ships *.otf, no more *.ttf.
I planned to fix that in the past (move files from t-f-e-links to
t-f-e), see commit 7fc1a4238a23a5bc0a7c76fd6465906d48601a0a .
Unfortunately at the same time I moved that some files into the other
direction, so I had to revert that step in
42a992dff6dd2b54ce0ffc10367a29913e062c0b, else there would be no upgrade
path from bullseye to bookworm. I have to delay the fix to post-bookworm.

> Especially the first one: "Junicod".
Yes, this is definitely a Typo, but correcting them does not solve an issue.

> also contains broken symlinks.
Was introduced in 5a1a62fe981bf67e743592ba689c2f18853a8886.
Unfortunately I noticed to late that fonts-alegreya-sans is RC buggy and
I downgraded the Dep to recommend:
42f75ab3ead843b6b04edc6f4aed7498cb53101f . This could be reverted before
bookworm, I'd need to build a new orig.tar.gz as the font files are
black listed. Is it really that urgent?

Hilmar
--
sigfault

---

From: Andreas Beckmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 22:47:04 +0200

> black listed. Is it really that urgent?

You have some nice non-trivial packages here ;-)

If you say the broken symlinks are not really a problem for bookworm 
(and hard to fix), feel free to downgrade the severity and postpone a 
fix for it to trixie.

Andreas

---

From: Preuße, Hilmar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 23:41:19 +0200

Control: tags -1 + bookworm-ignore

Hi,

> You have some nice non-trivial packages here ;-)
Well, yes.

> (and hard to fix), feel free to downgrade the severity and
>
People trying to use that font, would need to install a package from
unstable. Until now there was no complaint (except you). Best thing we
could do is to fix the issue in fonts-alegreya-sans. I tried so by
reporting to upstream, but currently there is not much move.

> postpone a fix for it to trixie.
>
"trixie"? First release for years, not starting with "b". I started
already confusing the code names. ;-)

H.
--
--
sigfault

---

From: Norbert Preining <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 13:47:03 +0900

> If you say the broken symlinks are not really a problem for bookworm (and

Broken symlinks in the TEXMF dirs are not a problem, since kpathsea will
ignore them.

So the worst thing is that some font is not available, that is hardly a
problem since the fonts are not generally used.

Best

Norbert

--
PREINING Norbert                              https://www.preining.info
Mercari Inc.     +     IFMGA Guide     +     TU Wien     +     TeX Live
GPG: 0x860CDC13   fp: F7D8 A928 26E3 16A1 9FA0 ACF0 6CAC A448 860C DC13

---

From: Preuße, Hilmar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 23:42:06 +0200

Hi again,

> during a test with piuparts I noticed your package ships (or creates)
OK, had a closer look: the "Debian Fonts Task Force" replaced the
"Junicode 1" by "Junicode 2" although they may behave differently

"Users of the various versions of Junicode 1 need to be aware that
documents originally set in Junicode 1 may reflow when set in Junicode
2. Further, documents that use the OpenType features of Junicode 1
(aside from basics like kerning and standard ligatures) may not be
displayed properly when changed over to Junicode 2."

I guess it would have been better to create fonts-junicode2 and then
slowly phase out fonts-junicode, when v2 left beta stage.

I could simply fix the links and point them to the v2 OTF fonts. This
could be even done now. This would give Debian users the v2 fonts but I
don't know if they are compatible to the Junicode related files in
texlive-fonts-extra. Junicode v2 wasn't even uploaded to CTAN yet. I
guess it is a better idea to stay with Junicode 1 for now and
re-integrate them into tfe after bookworm..

> also contains broken symlinks.
Well, I tend to say "this is not my fault". I may revert my decision
after bookworm.

H.
--
sigfault