Subject: linphone-desktop: Call notification windows in the middle of the screen

From: Samuel Wolf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 17:15:52 +0200

Package: linphone-desktop
Version: 4.4.10-3
Severity: minor
X-Debbugs-Cc: [email-masked]

Dear Maintainer,

since Debian 12 my call notification windows is not anymore in the right down corner of my two screens.
There are two white windows (size of call window) and two call notification windows in the middle of the screen.
Is this a known issue?

Tried to backport version 5 from experimental without luck, maybe a backport from sid is possible in some weeks...

-- System Information:
Debian Release: 12.0
  APT prefers stable-security
  APT policy: (500, 'stable-security'), (500, 'stable')
Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)

Kernel: Linux 6.1.0-9-amd64 (SMP w/6 CPU threads; PREEMPT)
Locale: LANG=de_DE.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=de_DE.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8), LANGUAGE not set
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /usr/bin/dash
Init: systemd (via /run/systemd/system)
LSM: AppArmor: enabled

Versions of packages linphone-desktop depends on:
ii  libbctoolbox1                          5.1.64-2
ii  libbelcard1                            5.1.64-2
ii  libc6                                  2.36-9
ii  libgcc-s1                              12.2.0-14
ii  liblinphone++10                        5.1.65-4
ii  liblinphone10                          5.1.65-4
ii  libmediastreamer12                     1:5.1.64+dfsg-3+b3
ii  libqt5core5a                           5.15.8+dfsg-11
ii  libqt5dbus5                            5.15.8+dfsg-11
ii  libqt5gui5                             5.15.8+dfsg-11
ii  libqt5network5                         5.15.8+dfsg-11
ii  libqt5qml5 [qtdeclarative-abi-5-15-8]  5.15.8+dfsg-3
ii  libqt5quick5                           5.15.8+dfsg-3
ii  libqt5quickcontrols2-5                 5.15.8+dfsg-2
ii  libqt5svg5                             5.15.8-3
ii  libqt5texttospeech5                    5.15.8-2
ii  libqt5widgets5                         5.15.8+dfsg-11
ii  libstdc++6                             12.2.0-14
ii  linphone-common                        5.1.65-4
ii  qml-module-qt-labs-platform            5.15.8+dfsg-2
ii  qml-module-qtgraphicaleffects          5.15.8-2
ii  qml-module-qtquick-controls            5.15.8-2
ii  qml-module-qtquick-controls2           5.15.8+dfsg-2
ii  qml-module-qtquick-dialogs             5.15.8-2
ii  qml-module-qtquick-layouts             5.15.8+dfsg-3
ii  qml-module-qtquick-shapes              5.15.8+dfsg-3
ii  qml-module-qtquick-window2             5.15.8+dfsg-3
ii  qml-module-qtquick2                    5.15.8+dfsg-3

Versions of packages linphone-desktop recommends:
ii  qt5-gtk2-platformtheme  5.0.0+git23.g335dbec-4+b7

linphone-desktop suggests no packages.

-- no debconf information

---

From: Dennis Filder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 18:41:53 +0200

X-Debbugs-CC: Samuel Wolf <[email-masked]>

> There are two white windows (size of call window) and two call notification windows in the middle of the screen.

No, this is something new.  I suspect Qt 5.15.8 might have changed
something in its multi-monitor support which may have broken something
somewhere, probably in
linphone-app/src/components/notifier/Notifier.cpp:Notifier::createNotification().

It would help a lot if:

- you could confirm that the behaviour is still as expected if you disable one
  of your monitors,

- you could give the exact dimensions of your monitors and the exact
  coordinates and dimensions of the notification windows and the white
  rectangles,

- you could paste any stdout/stderr or logfile output that contains
  the string "Primary screen" if it appears anywhere,

- you could maybe prepare screenshot(s) that are not too large
  (e.g. maybe convert to 256 colour PNG, remove any Desktop wallpaper
  etc.) and post them here.

It would be important to know if the notification windows are actually
in the very center or slightly offset somehow in case the bug is
related to subpixel support.

As for how soon this bug will be fixed: I can't tell.  Everyone in
Qt-land will probably start the migration to Qt 6 in the near future
if they haven't already, and thus probably deprioritize polish-related
issues like this.

Since I use a single-monitor setup I won't notice if this bug still
persists, so consider posting here after a new version has been
uploaded whether or not it still manifests.

Regards.

---

From: Samuel Wolf <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 11:18:00 +0200

> - you could confirm that the behaviour is still as expected if you disable one

yes, same problem with single monitor setup (see attachment Image 1 and Image 2)
In Image 2 my pop-up browser window from the PBX was active and
between the two windows.

>   coordinates and dimensions of the notification windows and the white

single setup 1920x1200
dual setup 2x 1920x1200

Look like the white window depends on the number of monitors.

>   the string "Primary screen" if it appears anywhere,

[11:04:22:807][0x55895ef0d490][Warning]System tray not found on this system.
[11:04:22:818][0x55895ef0d490][Warning]Wayland does not support
QWindow::requestActivate()
[11:04:22:863][0x55895ef0d490][Debug]"Unable to find a translation.
(context=Timeline, label=timelineFilterAllSecureLevelRooms,
disambiguation=)"
[11:04:22:863][0x55895ef0d490][Debug]"Unable to find a translation.
(context=Timeline, label=timelineFilterAnyChatRooms, disambiguation=)"
[11:04:22:864][0x55895ef0d490][Debug]"Unable to find a translation.
(context=Timeline, label=timelineFilterAnyEphemerals,
disambiguation=)"
[11:04:22:940][0x55895ef0d490][Info]"Notify event count: 0."
[11:04:23:316][0x55895ef0d490][Info]"Notify event count: 0."
[11:04:23:607][0x55895ef0d490][Info]"Notify event count: 0."
[11:04:34:595][0x55895ef0d490][Info]ChatRoom creation of  ""  at  0
security, from  "XXXremovedXXX")
[11:04:34:775][0x55895ef0d490][Info]"Add call:" "XXXremovedXXX"
[11:04:34:988][0x55895ef0d490][Debug]Internal Entries : Init
[11:04:34:992][0x55895ef0d490][Debug]Internal Entries : Built
[11:04:34:992][0x55895ef0d490][Debug]Internal Entries : End
[11:04:38:477][0x55895ef0d490][Info]"Create notifications:"
NotificationReceivedCall_QMLTYPE_464(0x55896a4b4070,
name="__internalWrapper", parent=0x55896a3ffb40, geometry=0,0 0x0)
[11:04:38:804][0x55895ef0d490][Info]"Notify event count: 1."

I tried the same setup with X11 (disable wayland) and it works as expected.
So this is another "wayland" issue and maybe not a linphone problem?

Do you see any chance for a workaround in wayland?

Thank you!

Samuel

---

From: Dennis Filder <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 20:30:45 +0200

X-Debbugs-CC: Samuel Wolf <[email-masked]>
Control: reassign -1 src:qtwayland-opensource-src

> So this is another "wayland" issue and maybe not a linphone problem?

Looks like it.

> Do you see any chance for a workaround in wayland?

Running linphone under XWayland could be worth a try.  If that doesn't
work either I guess we'll probably just have to wait till the
Wayland-related bug in Qt has been ironed out.  Anyway, I'll reassign
this to src:qtwayland-opensource-src in the hope that this will increase
its chance of getting resolved eventually.

Regards.