Subject: Re: ibus-mozc: Automatically enables itself on non-Japanese systems

From: Yao Wei (魏銘廷) <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2024 10:27:19 +0800

Package: ibus-mozc
Version: 2.28.4715.102+dfsg-2.3
Followup-For: Bug #1057080

Hi,

I happened to have the same problem to produce images at work.

I tried removing /etc/xdg/autostart/ibus-mozc-gnome-initial-setup.desktop
so it won't set up mozc in any condition.  It seems gnome-initial-setup
can still set up mozc without the script in place.

What is the startup script used for? If it is solely used for setting up
ibus-mozc after running gnome-initial-setup, could we remove it?

Thanks,
Yao Wei

---

From: me <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2024 12:52:17 +0800

Hi,

(Looping the patch author into this bug.)

Turns out it seems to be caused by #983623, which is to provide scripts
to set up ibus-mozc after the installation of the package, and according
to my understanding, this is unrelated to gnome-initial-setup package.

While I can understand that this patch is to serve Japanese users of
Debian and its derivatives, in our case we need ibus-mozc to be
installed in the system but not activated automatically so the image can
serve users using different languages.

I think either we can fix the script so ibus-mozc won't get set up if
LOCALE is not ja_JP, or we should remove the script completely and
require users to set it up (which is the case for other IBus engines).

Thanks,
Yao Wei