Subject: RE: ibus-mozc: Automatically enables itself on non-Japanese systems

From: Osamu Aoki <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2024 07:29:33 +0900

Hi,

I have a second thought after good night sleep

What Yao Wei (魏銘廷) suggested may be in good direction but I want it 
to be done with **one twist**.

Action 1: add /etc/default/ibus-mozc with its default content

```
# Change "ja_JP" in the following to "ALWAYS" if you wish mozc to be set-up
# under non-Ja_JP environment too.
START_IBUS_MOZC=ja_JP
```

Action2: Modify /usr/share/ibus-mozc/ibus-mozc-gnome-initial-setup.sh 
started by /etc/xdg/autostart/ibus-mozc-gnome-initial-setup.desktop
as:
  * Start this set-up script:
    * if START_IBUS_MOZC is not "ja_JP" in /etc/default/ibus-mozc or 
    * if LOCALE is "ja_JP"

Action 3: Add README.Debian explaining situation

This way, people like me using mozc under en_US have way to work around the
change proposed by Yao Wei.

osamu

FYI: I still think creating non-DE dependent ibus setup program is a good idea.
Current hackish dconf tweak is rather fragile.

---

From: Yao Wei (魏銘廷) <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2024 09:57:35 +0800

> change proposed by Yao Wei.

(for Aoki: sorry that I didn't reply all so you are receiving two emails,
I was setting up mutt again)

In addition to your proposal, we can add a debconf config to configure
/etc/default/ibus-mozc during interactive installation to resolve cases
using mozc in other LANG environments. I think we can list it as
something nice to have.

I hope that it can be defaulted not to automatically setup for
installer/live image building automations, since they install ibus-mozc
in the build environment and the images are mostly multilingual.

Yao Wei