Subject: Bug#1057080: ibus-mozc: Automatically enables itself on non-Japanese systems

From: Osamu Aoki <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2024 17:14:50 +0900

Hi,

I am not the maintainer of this package but came to this bug after hearing it on
a Debian JP workshop session.

I think what should happen is the following:

For now, Endless OS should create its customization package which used dpkg-
divert to disable ibus-mozc's autostart script and provides its own per-user
input method setting script (or use gnome-initial-setup?).   After all, the act
of installing all the language support packages is a non-typical use case.

Here is my rationale and comment for the future direction.:

Fundamental problem is that Debian Package installation script can configure
system wide settings via post-inst script but not each user's personal settings.
 Since ibus input method activation is performed per-user basis, we need some
mechanism to make 99% of use case as smooth as possible like what is done. Under
normal use case, whoever install ibus-mozc expects it to work upon first login
to the system.

I do understand what ibus-mozc is doing may not be the best technical solution
but is a reasonable **DE independent solution**.

If you can come up with a new **DE independent** per-user IM setting package and
upload to Debian, we can stop using current mechanism. That will be great
contribution to Debian from Endless OS. (FYI: I like your Gnome DE mod code
which I use via extension.)

Please remember Debian need to support many DEs.

Best regards,

Osamu