Subject: Re: simple-cdd issues

From: Vagrant Cascadian <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2025 09:19:54 +0800

Hi,

在 2025/3/5 04:27, Robert Schwebel 写道:
> Hi Vagrant,
> 
> first of all, thanks for all of your work on build-simple-cdd, I use it
> for some years now to build fully automated boot images for my home- and
> club machines so far, and it really made my life much easier!
> 
> Recently I run into some bugs (specifically #1062189 and #995986) which
> unfortunately now make it impossible to get working boot images with
> bookworm for my current intel N100 home servers.

#1062189, I reply on:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1062189#30

Would you try it?

#995986, I aslo reply and there other reply too:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=995986#30

> 
> Is there any chance to motivate you or someone else in the maintainer
> team to have a closer look at those bug reports? :-)
> 
> Cheers,
> Robert

-- 
肖盛文 xiao sheng wen -- Debian Developer(atzlinux)
Debian QA page: https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=atzlinux%40debian.org
Debian salsa: https://salsa.debian.org/atzlinux-guest
GnuPG Public Key: 0x00186602339240CB

---

From: Vagrant Cascadian <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2025 21:42:13 -0800

Just for clarity, it was not me who responded earlier today. It appears
to be from [email-masked] ... they accidentally set my name and
email in the From header? ... but helpfully signed the message with an
OpenPGP key that suggests it was from them, and set themselves in the
Reply-To header...

Anyways...

>> club machines so far, and it really made my life much easier!

Glad someone makes good use of it!

>> bookworm for my current intel N100 home servers.

Yeah, security and other updates have always made that a bit
tricky...

Basically one of the following needs to happen, each has particular
downsides:

* Do not use security and/or updates (ISO gets outdated packages)

* Use a manually updated debian-installer image with the new kernel (a
  lot of work)

* manually specify kernel udeb packages with a matching kernel ABI
  (fiddly and a lot of busywork)

* Swap out the kernel and modify the initrd used on the installer to use
  the current kernel ABI (fiddly and error prone)

There is not really a simple way to do this.

> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=995986#30

The non-free-firmware thing should be fixable, and fixed, but have not
had much of a look at it...

Probably just making another special case based on "non-free" for
"non-free-firmware" and... cutting and pasting and adjusting all that
code is all it would take... but that is just a guess.

>> team to have a closer look at those bug reports? :-)

I do not have a lot of motivation to work on it, and not sure what is
likely to change that...

I almost put it up for adoption a couple years ago and then someone did
enough uploads to make it work at the tail end of the last release
cycle... been updating simple-cdd once or twice a release cycle for over
20 years now and never actually used it for much of anything! Most use I
ever got was occasionally testing other packages I maintain on a fresh
install... might be time to properly orphan it again.

It was a stupidly simple concept, but it may be showing some warts after
all this time and may lacks much flexibility...

live well,
  vagrant