Subject: Bug#1089667: piuarts: fails when (path to) changes file is not world readable

From: Rob Browning <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2024 15:34:05 -0600

Package: piuparts
Version: 1.5.1

I'm not sure if this is intended to work, but with a home directory that
doesn't allow access by "other"s, i.e. "chmod o-rwx ~", an unshare
sbuild attempt fails like this here:

  0m0.0s WARNING: /home/rlb/deb/lockfile-progs/lockfile-progs_0.1.21~1.gbp7eb6ac_amd64.changes is not readable. Skipping.

  Piuparts caught exception, exiting...
  ------------------------------------------------------------
  Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/bin/piuparts", line 3720, in <module>
      main()
    File "/usr/bin/piuparts", line 3705, in main
      process_packages(package_list)
    File "/usr/bin/piuparts", line 3576, in process_packages
      packages = get_package_names_from_package_files(package_list)
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    File "/usr/bin/piuparts", line 2322, in get_package_names_from_package_files
      for filename in package_files:
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not iterable

Thanks
-- 
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org
GPG as of 2011-07-10 E6A9 DA3C C9FD 1FF8 C676 D2C4 C0F0 39E9 ED1B 597A
GPG as of 2002-11-03 14DD 432F AE39 534D B592 F9A0 25C8 D377 8C7E 73A4

---

From: Jochen Sprickerhof <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2024 08:10:50 +0100

Hi,

>  Piuparts caught exception, exiting...

A simple way to reproduce this is:

apt source -b hostname
chmod o-r hostname_3.25_amd64.changes
piuparts hostname_3.25_amd64.changes

Cheers Jochen

---

From: Dirk Lehmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2025 11:49:55 +0200

>   0m0.0s WARNING: /home/rlb/deb/lockfile-progs/lockfile-progs_0.1.21~1.gbp7eb6ac_amd64.changes is not readable. Skipping.
Same here. Using umask of 0027

   $> umask
   0027

Greets, Dirk.