Subject: Bug#1089889: gcc-12-cross-mipsen: Supporting rootless builds by default

From: Niels Thykier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2024 13:35:58 +0100

Package: gcc-12-cross-mipsen
Version: 5+c1
Severity: important
X-Debbugs-Cc: [email-masked]
User: [email-masked]
Usertags: rrr-no-as-default-issue

Dear maintainer,

While reviewing packages for potential issues with `Rules-Requires-Root: 
no` as default, this package was deemed at risk of having an issue. 
However, when rebuild on the testing infrastructure it FTBFS for an 
unrelated reason.

The concern when manually reviewing the package is that this package 
uses `dpkg-deb -b` inside its `debian/rules` without 
`--root-group-owner`. This means it will either silently misbuild 
(having non-root ownership) or FTBFS (if there is a chown call somewhere).

Please review how the package behaves with `Rules-Requires-Root: no` and 
patch it to support `Rules-Requires-Root: no` if possible. Otherwise, 
please set `Rules-Requires-Root: binary-targets` instead.

The goal is to have the default changed in `dpkg` either in `Trixie` or
`Forky`, depending on progress and feasibility with the release schedule
for Trixie.

For more information on this bug filing, please see:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-dpkg/2024/11/msg00016.html

Best regards,
Niels