Subject: selinux-policy-default: dbus fails to start after installing SELinux

From: Cliff Kilby <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2025 21:52:46 +0000

Package: selinux-policy-default
X-Debbugs-Cc: [email-masked]
Version: 2:2.20221101-9
Severity: minor
Tags:

Dear Maintainer,

dbus fails to start after installing SELinux. The error indicates that it
expects a file in /etc/selinux/targeted/contexts/dbus_contexts
The package selinux-policy-default does not include the targeted/ subpath.

OBSERVED RESULT
There is no file in /etc/selinux/targeted/contexts/dbus_contexts
EXPECTED RESULT
https://sources.debian.org/src/linux/3.16.36-1%2Bdeb8u2~bpo70%2B1/scripts/selinux/mdp/dbus_contexts/
Should exist in /etc/selinux/targeted/contexts/dbus_contexts
after installing either selinux-policy-default or one of the other selinux
packages, if you don't believe it belongs in selinux-policy-default

SOFTWARE/OS VERSIONS
Linux: Debian 6.1.124-1

checkpolicy/stable,now 3.4-1+b2 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libselinux1/stable,now 3.4-1+b6 amd64 [installed]
libselinux1-dev/stable,now 3.4-1+b6 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libsemanage-common/stable,stable,now 3.4-1 all [installed]
libsemanage2/stable,now 3.4-1+b5 amd64 [installed]
libsepol-dev/stable,now 3.4-2.1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libsepol2/stable,now 3.4-2.1 amd64 [installed]
policycoreutils/stable,now 3.4-1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
policycoreutils-dbus/stable,stable,now 3.4-1 all [installed]
policycoreutils-dev/stable,now 3.4-1+b2 amd64 [installed,automatic]
policycoreutils-python-utils/stable,stable,now 3.4-1 all
[installed,automatic]
python3-selinux/stable,now 3.4-1+b6 amd64 [installed,automatic]
python3-semanage/stable,now 3.4-1+b5 amd64 [installed,automatic]
python3-sepolgen/stable,stable,now 3.4-1 all [installed,automatic]
python3-sepolicy/stable,stable,now 3.4-1 all [installed,automatic]
python3-setools/stable,now 4.4.1-2 amd64 [installed,automatic]
selinux-basics/stable,stable,now 0.5.8 all [installed]
selinux-policy-default/stable,stable,now 2:2.20221101-9 all [installed]
selinux-policy-dev/stable,stable,now 2:2.20221101-9 all
[installed,automatic]
selinux-utils/stable,now 3.4-1+b6 amd64 [installed]
semanage-utils/stable,stable,now 3.4-1 all [installed]
semodule-utils/stable,now 3.4-1 amd64 [installed]
setools/stable,now 4.4.1-2 amd64 [installed,automatic]

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Workaround available.
Creating a file at /etc/selinux/targeted/contexts/dbus_contexts
with the minimum content of:

<busconfig>
  <selinux>
  </selinux>
</busconfig>

Allows dbus to start. Setting SELinux into permissive or enforcing=0 does
not workaround the problem.

dbus will look for the file if SELinux is loaded.