Subject: cpptraj: ftbfs with GCC-15

From: Matthias Klose <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2025 17:08:18 +0000

Package: src:cpptraj
Version: 5.1.0+dfsg-4
Severity: important
Tags: sid forky
User: [email-masked]
Usertags: ftbfs-gcc-15

[This bug is NOT targeted to the upcoming trixie release]

Please keep this issue open in the bug tracker for the package it
was filed for.  If a fix in another package is required, please
file a bug for the other package (or clone), and add a block in this
package. Please keep the issue open until the package can be built in
a follow-up test rebuild.

The package fails to build in a test rebuild on at least amd64 with
gcc-15/g++-15, but succeeds to build with gcc-14/g++-14. The
severity of this report will be raised before the forky release.

The full build log can be found at:
http://qa-logs.debian.net/2025/02/16/amd64exp/cpptraj_5.1.0+dfsg-4_unstable_gccexp.log.gz
The last lines of the build log are at the end of this report.

To build with GCC 15, either set CC=gcc-15 CXX=g++-15 explicitly,
or install the gcc, g++, gfortran, ... packages from experimental.

  apt-get -t=experimental install g++ 

GCC 15 now defaults to the C23/C++23 standards, exposing many FTBFS.
Other Common build failures are new warnings resulting in build failures
with -Werror turned on, or new/dropped symbols in Debian symbols files.
For other C/C++ related build failures see the porting guide at
http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-15/porting_to.html

[...]
                 from DataSet_Coords.h:4,
                 from DataSet_Coords_REF.h:3,
                 from ReferenceFrame.h:3,
                 from DataSetList.h:4,
                 from DataFile.h:4,
                 from DataFileList.h:3,
                 from ActionState.h:3,
                 from Action.h:5,
                 from Action_GIST.h:3,
                 from Action_GIST.cpp:3:
In member function ‘Vec3 Vec3::operator-(const Vec3&) const’,
    inlined from ‘void Action_GIST::Order(const Frame&)’ at Action_GIST.cpp:814:31:
Vec3.h:76:57: warning: ‘WAT’ may be used uninitialized [-Wmaybe-uninitialized]
   76 |       return Vec3(V_[0]-rhs.V_[0], V_[1]-rhs.V_[1], V_[2]-rhs.V_[2]);
      |                                                     ~~~~^
Action_GIST.cpp: In member function ‘void Action_GIST::Order(const Frame&)’:
Action_GIST.cpp:783:10: note: ‘WAT’ declared here
  783 |     Vec3 WAT[4];
      |          ^~~
In member function ‘Vec3 Vec3::operator-(const Vec3&) const’,
    inlined from ‘void Action_GIST::Order(const Frame&)’ at Action_GIST.cpp:814:31:
Vec3.h:76:23: warning: ‘WAT’ may be used uninitialized [-Wmaybe-uninitialized]
   76 |       return Vec3(V_[0]-rhs.V_[0], V_[1]-rhs.V_[1], V_[2]-rhs.V_[2]);
      |                   ~~~~^
Action_GIST.cpp: In member function ‘void Action_GIST::Order(const Frame&)’:
Action_GIST.cpp:783:10: note: ‘WAT’ declared here
  783 |     Vec3 WAT[4];
      |          ^~~
In member function ‘Vec3 Vec3::operator-(const Vec3&) const’,
    inlined from ‘void Action_GIST::Order(const Frame&)’ at Action_GIST.cpp:814:31:
Vec3.h:76:40: warning: ‘WAT’ may be used uninitialized [-Wmaybe-uninitialized]
   76 |       return Vec3(V_[0]-rhs.V_[0], V_[1]-rhs.V_[1], V_[2]-rhs.V_[2]);
      |                                    ~~~~^
Action_GIST.cpp: In member function ‘void Action_GIST::Order(const Frame&)’:
Action_GIST.cpp:783:10: note: ‘WAT’ declared here
  783 |     Vec3 WAT[4];
      |          ^~~
In member function ‘Vec3 Vec3::operator-(const Vec3&) const’,
    inlined from ‘void Action_GIST::Order(const Frame&)’ at Action_GIST.cpp:814:31:
Vec3.h:76:23: warning: ‘WAT’ may be used uninitialized [-Wmaybe-uninitialized]
   76 |       return Vec3(V_[0]-rhs.V_[0], V_[1]-rhs.V_[1], V_[2]-rhs.V_[2]);
      |                   ~~~~^
Action_GIST.cpp: In member function ‘void Action_GIST::Order(const Frame&)’:
Action_GIST.cpp:783:10: note: ‘WAT’ declared here
  783 |     Vec3 WAT[4];
      |          ^~~
In member function ‘Vec3 Vec3::operator-(const Vec3&) const’,
    inlined from ‘void Action_GIST::Order(const Frame&)’ at Action_GIST.cpp:815:31:
Vec3.h:76:57: warning: ‘WAT’ may be used uninitialized [-Wmaybe-uninitialized]
   76 |       return Vec3(V_[0]-rhs.V_[0], V_[1]-rhs.V_[1], V_[2]-rhs.V_[2]);
      |                                                     ~~~~^
Action_GIST.cpp: In member function ‘void Action_GIST::Order(const Frame&)’:
Action_GIST.cpp:783:10: note: ‘WAT’ declared here
  783 |     Vec3 WAT[4];
      |          ^~~
In member function ‘Vec3 Vec3::operator-(const Vec3&) const’,
    inlined from ‘void Action_GIST::Order(const Frame&)’ at Action_GIST.cpp:815:31:
Vec3.h:76:23: warning: ‘WAT’ may be used uninitialized [-Wmaybe-uninitialized]
   76 |       return Vec3(V_[0]-rhs.V_[0], V_[1]-rhs.V_[1], V_[2]-rhs.V_[2]);
      |                   ~~~~^
Action_GIST.cpp: In member function ‘void Action_GIST::Order(const Frame&)’:
Action_GIST.cpp:783:10: note: ‘WAT’ declared here
  783 |     Vec3 WAT[4];
      |          ^~~
make[2]: Leaving directory '/build/reproducible-path/cpptraj-5.1.0+dfsg/src'
make[1]: *** [Makefile:10: install] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/build/reproducible-path/cpptraj-5.1.0+dfsg'
dh_auto_build: error: make -j8 returned exit code 2
make: *** [debian/rules:10: binary] Error 25
dpkg-buildpackage: error: debian/rules binary subprocess returned exit status 2