Subject: octave: ftbfs with GCC-15

From: Matthias Klose <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2025 17:40:59 +0000

Package: src:octave
Version: 9.4.0-1
Severity: important
Tags: sid forky
User: [email-masked]
Usertags: ftbfs-gcc-15

[This bug is NOT targeted to the upcoming trixie release]

Please keep this issue open in the bug tracker for the package it
was filed for.  If a fix in another package is required, please
file a bug for the other package (or clone), and add a block in this
package. Please keep the issue open until the package can be built in
a follow-up test rebuild.

The package fails to build in a test rebuild on at least amd64 with
gcc-15/g++-15, but succeeds to build with gcc-14/g++-14. The
severity of this report will be raised before the forky release.

The full build log can be found at:
http://qa-logs.debian.net/2025/02/16/amd64exp/octave_9.4.0-1_unstable_gccexp.log.gz
The last lines of the build log are at the end of this report.

To build with GCC 15, either set CC=gcc-15 CXX=g++-15 explicitly,
or install the gcc, g++, gfortran, ... packages from experimental.

  apt-get -t=experimental install g++ 

GCC 15 now defaults to the C23/C++23 standards, exposing many FTBFS.
Other Common build failures are new warnings resulting in build failures
with -Werror turned on, or new/dropped symbols in Debian symbols files.
For other C/C++ related build failures see the porting guide at
http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-15/porting_to.html

[...]
/usr/bin/ld: libgui_src_la-moc-interpreter-qobject.o (symbol from plugin): in function `octave::interpreter_qobject::staticMetaObject':
(.text+0x0): multiple definition of `QtPrivate::IsFloatType_v<_Float16>'; la-BlockArray.o (symbol from plugin):(.text+0x0): first defined here
/usr/bin/ld: libgui_src_la-moc-led-indicator.o (symbol from plugin): in function `octave::led_indicator::staticMetaObject':
(.text+0x0): multiple definition of `QtPrivate::IsFloatType_v<_Float16>'; la-BlockArray.o (symbol from plugin):(.text+0x0): first defined here
/usr/bin/ld: libgui_src_la-moc-main-window.o (symbol from plugin): in function `octave::main_window::staticMetaObject':
(.text+0x0): multiple definition of `QtPrivate::IsFloatType_v<_Float16>'; la-BlockArray.o (symbol from plugin):(.text+0x0): first defined here
/usr/bin/ld: libgui_src_la-moc-news-reader.o (symbol from plugin): in function `octave::news_reader::staticMetaObject':
(.text+0x0): multiple definition of `QtPrivate::IsFloatType_v<_Float16>'; la-BlockArray.o (symbol from plugin):(.text+0x0): first defined here
/usr/bin/ld: libgui_src_la-moc-octave-qobject.o (symbol from plugin): in function `octave::octave_qapplication::staticMetaObject':
(.text+0x0): multiple definition of `QtPrivate::IsFloatType_v<_Float16>'; la-BlockArray.o (symbol from plugin):(.text+0x0): first defined here
/usr/bin/ld: libgui_src_la-moc-release-notes.o (symbol from plugin): in function `octave::release_notes::staticMetaObject':
(.text+0x0): multiple definition of `QtPrivate::IsFloatType_v<_Float16>'; la-BlockArray.o (symbol from plugin):(.text+0x0): first defined here
/usr/bin/ld: libgui_src_la-moc-settings-dialog.o (symbol from plugin): in function `octave::settings_dialog::staticMetaObject':
(.text+0x0): multiple definition of `QtPrivate::IsFloatType_v<_Float16>'; la-BlockArray.o (symbol from plugin):(.text+0x0): first defined here
/usr/bin/ld: libgui_src_la-moc-terminal-dock-widget.o (symbol from plugin): in function `octave::terminal_dock_widget::staticMetaObject':
(.text+0x0): multiple definition of `QtPrivate::IsFloatType_v<_Float16>'; la-BlockArray.o (symbol from plugin):(.text+0x0): first defined here
/usr/bin/ld: libgui_src_la-moc-color-picker.o (symbol from plugin): in function `octave::color_picker::staticMetaObject':
(.text+0x0): multiple definition of `QtPrivate::IsFloatType_v<_Float16>'; la-BlockArray.o (symbol from plugin):(.text+0x0): first defined here
/usr/bin/ld: libgui_src_la-moc-tab-bar.o (symbol from plugin): in function `octave::tab_bar::staticMetaObject':
(.text+0x0): multiple definition of `QtPrivate::IsFloatType_v<_Float16>'; la-BlockArray.o (symbol from plugin):(.text+0x0): first defined here
/usr/bin/ld: libgui_src_la-moc-qt-interpreter-events.o (symbol from plugin): in function `octave::qt_interpreter_events::staticMetaObject':
(.text+0x0): multiple definition of `QtPrivate::IsFloatType_v<_Float16>'; la-BlockArray.o (symbol from plugin):(.text+0x0): first defined here
/usr/bin/ld: libgui_src_la-moc-shortcuts-tree-widget.o (symbol from plugin): in function `octave::enter_shortcut::staticMetaObject':
(.text+0x0): multiple definition of `QtPrivate::IsFloatType_v<_Float16>'; la-BlockArray.o (symbol from plugin):(.text+0x0): first defined here
/usr/bin/ld: libgui_src_la-moc-welcome-wizard.o (symbol from plugin): in function `octave::initial_page::qt_static_metacall(QObject*, QMetaObject::Call, int, void**)':
(.text+0x0): multiple definition of `QtPrivate::IsFloatType_v<_Float16>'; la-BlockArray.o (symbol from plugin):(.text+0x0): first defined here
/usr/bin/ld: libgui_src_la-moc-workspace-model.o (symbol from plugin): in function `octave::workspace_model::staticMetaObject':
(.text+0x0): multiple definition of `QtPrivate::IsFloatType_v<_Float16>'; la-BlockArray.o (symbol from plugin):(.text+0x0): first defined here
/usr/bin/ld: libgui_src_la-moc-workspace-view.o (symbol from plugin): in function `octave::workspace_view::staticMetaObject':
(.text+0x0): multiple definition of `QtPrivate::IsFloatType_v<_Float16>'; la-BlockArray.o (symbol from plugin):(.text+0x0): first defined here
/usr/bin/ld: libgui_src_la-moc-variable-editor.o (symbol from plugin): in function `octave::variable_dock_widget::staticMetaObject':
(.text+0x0): multiple definition of `QtPrivate::IsFloatType_v<_Float16>'; la-BlockArray.o (symbol from plugin):(.text+0x0): first defined here
/usr/bin/ld: libgui_src_la-moc-variable-editor-model.o (symbol from plugin): in function `octave::variable_editor_model::staticMetaObject':
(.text+0x0): multiple definition of `QtPrivate::IsFloatType_v<_Float16>'; la-BlockArray.o (symbol from plugin):(.text+0x0): first defined here
/usr/bin/ld: libgui_src_la-moc-find-files-dialog.o (symbol from plugin): in function `octave::find_files_dialog::staticMetaObject':
(.text+0x0): multiple definition of `QtPrivate::IsFloatType_v<_Float16>'; la-BlockArray.o (symbol from plugin):(.text+0x0): first defined here
/usr/bin/ld: libgui_src_la-moc-find-files-model.o (symbol from plugin): in function `octave::find_files_model::qt_static_metacall(QObject*, QMetaObject::Call, int, void**)':
(.text+0x0): multiple definition of `QtPrivate::IsFloatType_v<_Float16>'; la-BlockArray.o (symbol from plugin):(.text+0x0): first defined here
/usr/bin/ld: libgui_src_la-moc-octave-dock-widget.o (symbol from plugin): in function `octave::label_dock_widget::staticMetaObject':
(.text+0x0): multiple definition of `QtPrivate::IsFloatType_v<_Float16>'; la-BlockArray.o (symbol from plugin):(.text+0x0): first defined here
/usr/bin/ld: libgui_src_la-moc-set-path-dialog.o (symbol from plugin): in function `octave::set_path_dialog::staticMetaObject':
(.text+0x0): multiple definition of `QtPrivate::IsFloatType_v<_Float16>'; la-BlockArray.o (symbol from plugin):(.text+0x0): first defined here
/usr/bin/ld: libgui_src_la-moc-set-path-model.o (symbol from plugin): in function `octave::set_path_model::staticMetaObject':
(.text+0x0): multiple definition of `QtPrivate::IsFloatType_v<_Float16>'; la-BlockArray.o (symbol from plugin):(.text+0x0): first defined here
rm -f src/octave-cli-9.4.0 && \
cd src && ln -s octave-cli octave-cli-9.4.0
libgui/qterminal/libqterminal/unix/Screen.cpp: In member function 'resizeImage':
libgui/qterminal/libqterminal/unix/Screen.cpp:395:57: warning: argument 1 value '18446744073709551615' exceeds maximum object size 9223372036854775807 [-Walloc-size-larger-than=]
  395 |    ImageLine* newScreenLines = new ImageLine[new_lines+1];
      |                                                         ^
/usr/include/c++/15/new:140:26: note: in a call to allocation function 'operator new []' declared here
  140 | _GLIBCXX_NODISCARD void* operator new[](std::size_t)
      |                          ^
libgui/qterminal/libqterminal/unix/Screen.cpp: In member function '__ct_base ':
libgui/qterminal/libqterminal/unix/Screen.cpp:70:38: warning: argument 1 value '18446744073709551615' exceeds maximum object size 9223372036854775807 [-Walloc-size-larger-than=]
   70 |     screenLines(new ImageLine[lines+1] ),
      |                                      ^
/usr/include/c++/15/new:140:26: note: in a call to allocation function 'operator new []' declared here
  140 | _GLIBCXX_NODISCARD void* operator new[](std::size_t)
      |                          ^
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [Makefile:11794: libgui/liboctgui.la] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory '/build/reproducible-path/octave-9.4.0'
make[2]: *** [Makefile:28208: all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/build/reproducible-path/octave-9.4.0'
make[1]: *** [Makefile:11399: all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/build/reproducible-path/octave-9.4.0'
dh_auto_build: error: make -j8 returned exit code 2
make: *** [debian/rules:37: binary] Error 25
dpkg-buildpackage: error: debian/rules binary subprocess returned exit status 2