Subject: Bug#1104764: dpkg: Add allownetworktest to DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS

From: Guillem Jover <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2025 03:48:16 +0200

Hi!

On Tue, 2025-05-06 at 02:31:31 +0530, Pirate Praveen wrote:
> Package: dpkg
> Version: 1.22.18
> Severity: normal
> X-Debbugs-Cc: [email-masked]

> As a followup to https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1104643#39
> please add 'allownetworktest' as a supported option for DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS. So
> we can run tests that need internet access from salsa ci but disabled by
> default.

I suspect this report has been misdirected, because dpkg only has
explicit support for DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS that it can act on (see for
example dpkg-buildpackage(1) or dpkg-buildflags(1)). In this case I
don't think there's anything that dpkg can do about this new option?

I think this might be more appropriate as a Debian policy report,
looking for consensus on documenting this usage, if people agree with
it. I'd also like to mention that it might be worth diverging from
existing practice of tucking multiple words together with no
separators, which I've considered to be a non-ideal practice for a
while (where I think I might have made it worse when adding support
for new options/keywords from the original no<something> pattern).

Thanks,
Guillem