Subject: Re: Bug#133607: one more piece of information...

From: James LewisMoss <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 10:06:19 -0500

>>>>> On Mon, 18 Mar 2002 15:33:25 +0100 (CET), Giacomo Mulas <[email-masked]> said:

 Giacomo> 	I suddenly experienced very much this bug after an
 Giacomo> 	apt-get
 Giacomo> dist-upgrade about one week ago, after some package quite
 Giacomo> unrelated to xemacs was updated (I run sid on my
 Giacomo> laptop). After MUCH fiddling with strace, I found out that
 Giacomo> for some reason there were some dangling symlinks to some
 Giacomo> truetype fonts, both the X server (which loads the xtt
 Giacomo> module) and the xfs-xtt font server tried to open them and,
 Giacomo> upon failing, xemacs died with a segfault, after saying it
 Giacomo> could not find the character map for the fontset. Fixing
 Giacomo> those dangling symlinks cured the problem completely, but
 Giacomo> still I think that no program should segfault upon being
 Giacomo> unable to load a font, should it?

Nope it shouldn't, but I'd appreciate you filing a bug against the
package leaving the dangling symlinks as well.

 Giacomo> Now, to reproduce this you can:

 Giacomo> 1) find some truetype fonts of the Lucida family and
 Giacomo>    properly install them
 Giacomo> 2) turn some of them into dangling symlinks, so that they
 Giacomo>    are not found
 Giacomo> anymore

 -> xemacs21-mule should now segfault.

 Giacomo> If/when you can reproduce this, you can try to understand
 Giacomo> whether this bug belongs to xemacs21-mule or to the xlibs.

I'll do my best.  If I can't figure it out i'll pass it upstream.

 Giacomo> Let me know whether I can help you with any more
 Giacomo> information.

This is excellent info.  Thanks.
Jim

-- 
@James LewisMoss <[email-masked]>      |  Blessed Be!
@    http://jimdres.home.mindspring.com |  Linux is kewl!
@"Argue for your limitations and sure enough, they're yours." Bach