Subject: Postfix chrooted (may I disagree with Thomas?)

From: [email-masked] (Jeronimo Pellegrini)
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 15:36:05 -0300

Hi.

Thomas -Balu- Walter <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Wietse strongly recommends to not install postfix into chroot in default
> packages.  See mailing-list-archive e.g. at:

> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=postfix-users&m=102561614003433&w=2

I have read the whole thread, and the only "strong recommendation" to not 
run Postfix chrooted was this:

On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 09:08:02AM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:
> People who have trouble reading master.cf should not run Postfix
> chrooted, period. This is why chroot must be off by default.
 
which doesn't seem like a strong reason to me, but well, I'm not the
maintainer...

Wietse also said he shall not be held responsible for other people's 
errors, and I believe the Debian maintainer wouldn't bother him with any
problems.

In the same thread, it is said that OpenBSD does ship it chrooted
(Debian is also mentioned).

Personally, I like the idea of it being chrooted by default.

J.

--