Subject: Bug#164396: debconf: Debconf's frontend fail to detect finish of maintainer scripts on a perl 5.8.0 envirovment

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 02:18:29 +0200

Package: debconf
Version: 1.2.10
Severity: important

It seems that when on a system with perl 5.8.0/unstable, frontend do
not detect that a maintainer script has been finished, and so the
debconf/dpkg process remain running in memory, preventing the user to
return to normal bash prompt until he issues two CRTL-C

Debconf seems to work correctly when the same installation action is
performed on a system with perl 5.6

For systems with perl 5.8.0 the maintainer needs to include a final
'db_stop' in any script calling debconf module for the installation to
work properly.

This behaviour has been found trying to install at least the following
packages

  * phpnuke_5.6-4 (note that the actual unstable version 5.6-5 has
    already been patched with the final 'db_stop'

  * postnuke_0.714-1

  * phpgroupware_0.9.14-0.RC3.2 (just on the postrm script)

This behaviour has been found by two maintainers on different computers
(see bug #164148 discussion)

I suspect this behaviour could be found on more packages compiled on
perl 5.6 envirovment and using debconf.

Regards

Hugo Espuny   [email-masked]

Debian maintainer for phpnuke and postnuke

-- System Information
Debian Release: 3.0
Architecture: i386
Kernel: Linux RA 2.4.18-586tsc #1 Sun Apr 14 10:57:57 EST 2002 i586
Locale: LANG=C, LC_CTYPE=C

Versions of packages debconf depends on:
ii  perl-base                     5.8.0-13   The Pathologically Eclectic Rubbis