Subject: Bug#186153: savelog: killing causes data loss

From: martin f krafft <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 22:55:11 +0100

Package: debianutils
Version: 1.16.7
Severity: normal

i can't test unstable right now, but the testing version of savelog
i just tried destroyed my data. i was running it on a huge file when
i remembered that i wanted to do something else before chugging it
away, so i ctrl-c'd the process, which left me with the original and
the rotated .0 version, both of which had zero size. if you ask me,
that's bad.

-- System Information:
Debian Release: testing/unstable
Architecture: i386
Kernel: Linux diamond 2.4.20-grsec+freeswan+preempt-diamond #1 SMP Tue Mar 11 12:07:29 CET 2003 i686
Locale: LANG=en_GB.ISO-8859-15, LC_CTYPE=de_DE.ISO-8859-15

Versions of packages debianutils depends on:
ii  libc6                         2.3.1-14   GNU C Library: Shared libraries an

-- no debconf information

-- 
Please do not CC me when replying to lists; I read them!
 
 .''`.     martin f. krafft <[email-masked]>
: :'  :    proud Debian developer, admin, and user
`. `'`
  `-  Debian - when you have better things to do than fixing a system
 
Keyserver problems? http://keyserver.kjsl.com/~jharris/keyserver.html
Get my key here: http://madduck.net/me/gpg/publickey

---

From: Clint Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 15:58:13 -0500

> the rotated .0 version, both of which had zero size. if you ask me,

Yes, there's no signal trapping done.

---

From: martin f krafft <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 22:01:45 +0100

> Yes, there's no signal trapping done.

does that mean that you will address this at one point in time?

---

From: Clint Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 16:08:34 -0500

> does that mean that you will address this at one point in time?

Hopefully someone else will submit a patch before I get to it.

It's unclear to me exactly what should happen should someone Ctrl-C.

---

From: martin f krafft <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 22:28:32 +0100

> Hopefully someone else will submit a patch before I get to it.

I would, but I am really pressed for time. Maybe when April has
passed.

> It's unclear to me exactly what should happen should someone Ctrl-C.

It should just leave things in place. The rotations should be
undone. So the worst case is when the oldest rotation has already
fallen off and can't be restored. I supposed one could guard against
that case.

---

From: Clint Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 16:33:37 -0500

> fallen off and can't be restored. I supposed one could guard against

All the rotations?  What happens if there's a Ctrl-C while it's
"rewinding"?

---

From: martin f krafft <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 22:39:46 +0100

> All the rotations?  What happens if there's a Ctrl-C while it's

either you block control-C during the forward process (just ignore
it), or you do something along the lines of what i layed out and
ignore ctrl-C when it's rewinding.