Subject: Bug#232584: /usr/bin/svnserve: Need an init.d script?

From: Pierre THIERRY <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 16:49:18 +0200

> My expectation is that in most cases svnserve is used on conjunction
> with ssh or is started via inetd

No, in the contrary, the SSH tunneling is more an option than the main
use case. Taken from the SVN website (http://subversion.tigris.org/) :

  "Subversion also offers a standalone server option using a custom
  protocol (not everyone wants to run Apache 2.x). The standalone server
  can run as an inetd service, or in daemon mode, and offers basic
  authentication and authorization. It can also be tunnelled over ssh."

> Should there be a commented entry in /etc/inetd.conf?

There should be a debconf question to invoke update-inetd.

But the package should also provide an init.d script, and debconf
questions about starting a standalone server or with inetd...

Alternatively,
le Moine Fou
-- 
[email-masked]
OpenPGP 0xD9D50D8A