Subject: bcc: register with binfmt-support

From: Ryan Underwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 23:28:47 -0600

Package: bcc
Version: 0.16.14-1
Severity: wishlist

from the README:

I _strongly_ suggest you install the kernel patch or load the module
to allow transparent execution of elks executables.  If you're using
a post 2.1.43 or 2.0.36 kernel the only module you need is the
binfmt_misc
driver configured like this:

echo ':i86-elks:M::\x01\x03\x20\x00:\xff\xff\xff\x83:/lib/elksemu:' \
     > /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc/register

We have binfmt-support package to do just this.  Why not register with
it?

>>From /usr/share/doc/binfmt-support/README.Debian:
------------------
If you're a package maintainer and want to use update-binfmts, you should
install a format file like the following (without the leading spaces) in
/usr/share/binfmts:

  package javawrapper
  interpreter /usr/bin/javawrapper
  magic \xca\xfe\xba\xbe

Assuming that this file is installed in /usr/share/binfmts/javawrapper, the
postinst should then do this:

  if [ configure = "$1" -a -x /usr/sbin/update-binfmts ]; then
    /usr/sbin/update-binfmts --import javawrapper
  fi

The prerm script should then do the reverse:

  if [ remove = "$1" -a -x /usr/sbin/update-binfmts ]; then
    /usr/sbin/update-binfmts --package javawrapper \
      --remove javawrapper /usr/bin/javawrapper
  fi

You should add 'Conflicts: binfmt-support (<< 1.1.2)' to your control file
to ensure that the --import option is available and working.
-------------------

-- System Information:
Debian Release: testing/unstable
  APT prefers testing
  APT policy: (990, 'testing'), (500, 'unstable'), (1, 'experimental')
Architecture: i386 (i686)
Kernel: Linux 2.4.25
Locale: LANG=en_US, LC_CTYPE=en_US

Versions of packages bcc depends on:
ii  bin86                       0.16.14-1    16-bit assembler and loader
ii  libc6                       2.3.2.ds1-11 GNU C Library: Shared libraries an

-- no debconf information