Subject: Analysis

From: Alexis Sukrieh <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 01:42:27 +0200

Well, after looking at the debconf code, it really seems that this
problem cannot be avoided without changing the way debconf initializes
Frontends.

When debconf is called, it first tries to initialize the user-choosen
frontend, which means including the appropriate Perl API.

If this include fails, debconf send a warning to the user, which is
quite normal.

The bug undelined here, would require to implement the availability of
knowing if we will use the frontend at least one time before ending the
debconf process...

In ohter words, we should first look at what will be done in the debconf
session, and then, initialize or not the frontend if we have at least
one communication to make with the user...

That sounds really like a big architectural revolution and I'm not sure
that's what we (patch submitters) are supposed to do...

Tell me if I'm wrong Jo ;)

Alexis.

-- 
Alexis Sukrieh <[email-masked]>
 * Another Linux Debian Geek Enthusiast
 * http://www.sukria.net