Subject: Re: Bug#258387: amavisd-new: Rotate the log file /var/log/amavis.log

From: Brian May <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 14:49:18 +1000

tags 258387 wontfix
thanks

>>>>> "Frédéric" == Frédéric Massot <[email-masked]> writes:

    Frédéric> To separate the log file by service, and uses. To make
    Frédéric> them more readable. I can authorize certain users to
    Frédéric> consult certain log file.

    Frédéric> For example, we installed a email proxy at a customer, I
    Frédéric> allow him to consult the Amavis log file. It can see
    Frédéric> which email were refused and why.

Sorry, but I believe this situation is very specific to your
particular setup. As such, I feel it is your responsibility rotate the
required log files. I don't want to restart the amavis process
regularly if I can avoid it, this is one of the benefits of using
syslog.

Debian has no software for allowing customers to consult the log file
that I know of either.

The way it is now, all mail logs on my setup go to
/var/log/mail.log. This means that there is only one file to consult
if any mail goes missing.
-- 
Brian May <[email-masked]>