Subject: Re: Bug#268485: patching the courier patch

From: Brian May <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 10:36:49 +1000

>>>>> "Frederik" == Frederik Dannemare <[email-masked]> writes:

    Frederik> I see that there's quite a few small differences between
    Frederik> amavisd.conf and debian/etc/amavisd.conf, so I actually
    Frederik> had to patch the courier patch in order to make it apply
    Frederik> correctly against debian/etc/amavisd.conf.

    Frederik> It surely would be nice, if the courier patch could be
    Frederik> applied as part of the official package, without any
    Frederik> need for manual patching afterwards... If it's a matter
    Frederik> of man power, I wouldn't mind maintaining a patching
    Frederik> patch which could be included with the source
    Frederik> package. Just an idea.

courier isn't used or supported by either myself, the co-maintainer,
or the upstream author.

If we applied the patch, it would imply that we support this software,
but we can't support the software as we don't use it and can't test
it[1].

I have a vague feeling this was raised in another bug report,
unfortunately I cannot find it right now. Instead have a look at:
<URL:http://bugs.debian.org/230084>.

Notes:

[1] Yes, I know we have amavisd-new-milter, this is probably I good
example of why including code that we cannot support is not
necessarily a good idea. I have no idea if it is currently working or
not... I assume it is.
-- 
Brian May <[email-masked]>