Subject: does not gate news from comp.lang.c++.moderated

From: martin f krafft <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 19:39:04 +0200

Package: mailman
Version: 2.1.5-1
Severity: normal

I set up a couple of news<->mail gateways at
http://lists.madduck.net. All of them have been working fine for
a week except for comp.lang.c++.moderated. However, the newsgroup
surely had its share of traffic in the last seven days.

Thus, I wonder if newsgroups with a '+' in their name are not
handled properly?

I cannot find more information on this. However, I would be happy to
assist you in finding the bug!

-- System Information:
Debian Release: 3.1
  APT prefers testing
  APT policy: (600, 'testing'), (98, 'unstable'), (1, 'experimental')
Architecture: i386 (i686)
Kernel: Linux 2.6.8-cirrus
Locale: LANG=en_GB.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=en_GB.UTF-8

-- 
Please do not CC me when replying to lists; I read them!
 
 .''`.     martin f. krafft <[email-masked]>
: :'  :    proud Debian developer, admin, and user
`. `'`
  `-  Debian - when you have better things to do than fixing a system
 
Invalid/expired PGP subkeys? Use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!

---

From: Laszlo 'GCS' Boszormenyi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 22:22:05 +0200

package mailman
tags 275866 + moreinfo
thanks

Hi Martin,

> Thus, I wonder if newsgroups with a '+' in their name are not
 Well, I do not know if the plus sign cause any trouble. Do you see
anything in the logs maybe?

> assist you in finding the bug!
 As I have never done gatewaying to a news server, and do not have access
to any news server, can you please give me an address of a dummy news
server/newsgroup where I may test how Mailman works in a scenario you
described? Ie the newsgroup is moderated, but my messages from Mailman
would be ignored?

Thanks,
Laszlo/GCS

---

From: martin f krafft <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 23:44:53 +0200

The problem is that the news are not fetched. I have not tried to
actually post to the newsgroup yet.

And no, I do not have a demo newsgroup, and I cannot give you access
to the mailman instance as it runs on an official server. But I can
share the configuration and log entries with you and hope to be
otherwise useful.

---

From: Laszlo 'GCS' Boszormenyi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 23:52:17 +0200

Argh, I hate mutt sometimes; please drop my previous mail.

> actually post to the newsgroup yet.
 Please try if possible.

> to the mailman instance as it runs on an official server.
 No problem, understood.

> But I can
 First can you please tell me which OS the news server running on
(Woody/Sarge maybe?); which version of the news server and any extra
configuration settings that may be related to this bug.
I would like to reproduce this here.

Thanks in advance,
Laszlo/GCS

---

From: martin f krafft <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 00:02:23 +0200

> > actually post to the newsgroup yet.

If I have something to say I will. I am not going to have time for
C++ for at least another month.

>  (Woody/Sarge maybe?); which version of the news server and any
>  extra configuration settings that may be related to this bug.

No idea. I don't run the news server.

200 idnews.unizh.ch DNEWS Version  5.7e1,, S0, posting OK

---

From: Cord Beermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 21:58:43 +0200

>I would like to reproduce this here.

mailman communicates with the nntp-protocol with a newsserver, so the
version of the newsserver shouldn't normally be an issue.

i guess that mailman somewhere interprets the + in the groupname as
'one char or more'.

Cord

---

From: Laszlo 'GCS' Boszormenyi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 05:27:52 +0200

Hi Cord,

> version of the newsserver shouldn't normally be an issue.
 You are very right, I am just beginner with NNTP. I mean I used it as
an user a lot in 2000/2001, but can not remember newsgroups with '+' in
the name, even if that was moderated. I thought it is unique to that
NNTP server, which turned out to be a commercial one for Unixes (and
for only RedHat Linux).

> i guess that mailman somewhere interprets the + in the groupname as
 You mean regexp or concenation? I will test it, installed inn2, but
don't yet know how to really set it up to have moderated newsgroups
(access and normal newsgroups already set up). Do you know any good
tutorials on inn2 setup?

Thanks,
Laszlo/GCS

---

From: Cord Beermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 16:12:37 +0200

>NNTP server, which turned out to be a commercial one for Unixes (and

a + is a seldom used, but allowed character for a groupname. a quick
grep through some grouplist shows 8 groups all in de.*

it has nothing to do with moderation. (that is handled elsewhere.)

As the Bugsubmitter wants to use Mailman to get newsarticles to mail,
moderation of newsgroups isn't involved here. (btw: i think there are
more sane solutions to establish something like that)

> You mean regexp or concenation?

my guess is simply that python soemwhere interprets the + where it
should not.

> I will test it, installed inn2, but

you need a newsgroup with a + in the groupname like:

de.rec.music.rock+pop
de.comp.hardware.cpu+mainboard.misc

or something. it doesn't have to be moderated.

hth,
	Cord