Subject: Error message: Can't call method "description"...

From: "W. Borgert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 12:24:53 +0100

Package: ucf
Version: 1.13

After interrupting an apt-get install with ^C, it is not possible
to remove a package (proftpd-common) without error message.  Even
purge and reinstall, purge again does not help:

Purging configuration files for proftpd-common ...
Can't call method "description" on an undefined value at
/usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Question.pm line 76, <GEN0> line 1.
dpkg: error processing proftpd-common (--purge):
 subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 9
 Errors were encountered while processing:
  proftpd-common

Installing a backup of the dpkg status file did not help.

The error message seems to come from ucf:

# ucf
Can't call method "description" on an undefined value at
/usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Question.pm line 76, <GEN0> line 1.

A reinstallation of debconf and ucf did help, but as this is not
clear to the average user and should be not necessary, right?

Maybe the problem does not belong to ucf, but debconf?
The version is 1.4.30.11 (debconf + debconf-english)...

---

From: Manoj Srivastava <[email-masked] (va, manoj)>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 15:19:34 -0600

reassign  297540 debconf
thanks

On Tue,  1 Mar 2005 12:24:53 +0100, W Borgert <[email-masked]> said: 

> Package: ucf Version: 1.13

> After interrupting an apt-get install with ^C, it is not possible to
> remove a package (proftpd-common) without error message.  Even purge
> and reinstall, purge again does not help:

> Purging configuration files for proftpd-common ...  Can't call
> method "description" on an undefined value at
> /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Question.pm line 76, <GEN0> line 1.  dpkg:
> error processing proftpd-common (--purge):
>  subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 9 Errors
>  were encountered while processing:
>   proftpd-common

>> ucf

> Maybe the problem does not belong to ucf, but debconf?  The version
> is 1.4.30.11 (debconf + debconf-english)...

	I don't see how changing anything in ucf can fixwhatever the
 reinstall fixed, so punting this to debconf, where this is more
 likely to be diagnosed correctly and fixed.

	manoj
-- 
Bureaucrat, n.: A person who cuts red tape sideways. McCabe
Manoj Srivastava   <[email-masked]>  <http://www.debian.org/%7Esrivasta/>
1024D/BF24424C print 4966 F272 D093 B493 410B  924B 21BA DABB BF24 424C