Subject: Bug#297540: Error message: Can't call method "description"...

From: "W. Borgert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 12:24:53 +0100

Package: ucf
Version: 1.13

After interrupting an apt-get install with ^C, it is not possible
to remove a package (proftpd-common) without error message.  Even
purge and reinstall, purge again does not help:

Purging configuration files for proftpd-common ...
Can't call method "description" on an undefined value at
/usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Question.pm line 76, <GEN0> line 1.
dpkg: error processing proftpd-common (--purge):
 subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 9
 Errors were encountered while processing:
  proftpd-common

Installing a backup of the dpkg status file did not help.

The error message seems to come from ucf:

# ucf
Can't call method "description" on an undefined value at
/usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Question.pm line 76, <GEN0> line 1.

A reinstallation of debconf and ucf did help, but as this is not
clear to the average user and should be not necessary, right?

Maybe the problem does not belong to ucf, but debconf?
The version is 1.4.30.11 (debconf + debconf-english)...