Subject: /etc/security/groups.conf

From: Holger Levsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 20:11:34 +0200

Hi Steve,

On 4 Jun 2006 (doh!) you wrote: 

>> A solution might be to create etc/security/group.conf in the
>> maintainerscripts so it's no conffile...
> Why is automatic configuration of /etc/security/group.conf needed?

from debian-edu-config/cf/cf.kdm:

  # Set up locally logged in users to get access to local devices
  # Require pam_group in common-auth
  # http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man5/group.conf.5.html document
  # the format
    { /etc/security/group.conf
      AppendIfNoSuchLine "*; tty*&!ttyp*; *; Al0000-2400; audio,cdrom,floppy,plugdev,video,scanner"
      AppendIfNoSuchLine "*; :0; *; Al0000-2400; audio,cdrom,floppy,plugdev,video,scanner"
    }

I believe we do this, to only add the users to those groups, when the
users are logged in on that machine, but I'm not really familar with 
this. Maybe Petter or Vagrant can jump in? ;)

Do we still need this change?

regards,
	Holger