Subject: Re: Make etc/security/group.conf automatically configurable

From: Petter Reinholdtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 14:40:47 +0100

I tested if one of these group memberships were still needed, and was
surprised by the result.  I made sure my test user only was a member
of his own group, no cdrom group membership, and started k3b.  It
worked, and was able to burn a CD.  No idea how the device access was
handled, as none of the binaries involved seem to be sgid or suid.

I then tried audio recording using audacity, but got no sound.  Not
sure if this is related to group membership or not, as I had not
tested if this worked with group membership before I tested without
it.

I lack the equipment to test access to video and floppy devices, so I
can not test that part.

Further testing is needed to figure out if the group pam module is
still needed or not, but the k3b test gave me hope that it might be
dropped from Debian Edu in the future.

Btw, shipping the pam package without the group.conf file is probably
  a good idea anyway, as the file is already empty if all the comments
  are removed. :)

Happy hacking,
-- 
Petter Reinholdtsen