Subject: [etch-beta3] GRUB password only for editing cmdline

From: Uwe Hermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 21:44:38 +0200

Package: debian-installer
Severity: normal

Hi,

currently the GRUB password is only used for preventing people to edit
GRUB config lines via 'e'. It would be nice if you could specify in the
installer whether you want to have a password for all entries, i.e.
you cannot boot at all without entering a password.
For that, every "title Debian GNU/Linux..." line in /boot/grub/menu.lst
should be followed by a "password --md5 $1$abcd..." line.

Ideally, you should be able to specify various passwords
per-GRUB-boot-option, so that if you boot kernel A, you have to type
a password different to when you boot kernel B.

HTH, Uwe.
-- 
Uwe Hermann 
http://www.hermann-uwe.de
http://www.it-services-uh.de  | http://www.crazy-hacks.org 
http://www.holsham-traders.de | http://www.unmaintained-free-software.org

---

From: Cyril Brulebois <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 01:36:08 +0100

Uwe Hermann <[email-masked]> (2006-09-14):
> currently the GRUB password is only used for preventing people to edit GRUB
> config lines via 'e'. It would be nice if you could specify in the installer
> whether you want to have a password for all entries, i.e.  you cannot boot at
> all without entering a password.  For that, every "title Debian GNU/Linux..."
> line in /boot/grub/menu.lst should be followed by a "password --md5
> $1$abcd..." line.

Looking very briefly, it seems to me that the password code in grub-installer
only works with grub/menu.lst and not with grub2/grub.cfg; someone could
probably fix that, before thinking about implementing any further changes.

> Ideally, you should be able to specify various passwords per-GRUB-boot-option,
> so that if you boot kernel A, you have to type a password different to when
> you boot kernel B.

I'm not sure d-i is the right place for that kind of things…

Mraw,
KiBi.