Subject: Re: Bug#398658: lintian: Please detect unconditional use of some nonessential pkgs during purge

From: Niels Thykier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2011 22:31:01 +0200

block 398658 by 629247
thanks

On 2011-06-04 20:49, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Niels Thykier <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> Perhaps we should mark this as wontfix and leave this to piuparts?  I
>> admit that Lintian is probably more used than piuparts by developers
>> (and it would catch this issue pre-upload).  Nevertheless we have not
>> done anything about this for 4+ years and alternatives exists.
> 
> I think we could do a better job of this than puiparts, since we can check
> all the various branches and alternatives, not just the default case.
> This is one of those open wishlist bugs that I was considering sort of
> "soft-blocked" on the long-term, major project of integrating a real shell
> parser into Lintian.
> 

I feared that might be the reason; indeed static analysis would yield
better code coverage in this case, but it does not help me with cleaning
up the tracker! :P

Anyhow, opened a bug for the shell parser that I will use as blocker for
bugs depending on said shell parser.  Hopefully, someone will get tried
of that bug and fix it and this one along with it. :D

~Niels