Subject: parisc: xfs module loading bug

From: Helge Deller <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 10:08:39 +0100

Patches which solves the xfs loading bug on parisc has been accepted upstream.
Mainstream Kernel 2.6.29 will contain the fix.

Description of the problem:
http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=123055968113465&w=2

Needed patches which were accepted upstream:
a) module: fix module loading failure of large kernel modules for parisc
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=088af9a6e05d51e7c3dc85d45d8b7a52c3ee08d7;hp=d1e99d7ae4e6bbd1ebb5e81ecd3af2b8793efee0
b) parisc: fix module loading failure of large kernel modules
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=c298be74492bece102f3379d14015638f1fd1fac;hp=088af9a6e05d51e7c3dc85d45d8b7a52c3ee08d7

Maybe it would make sense to backport those fixes in the debian kernel for lenny.

Debian bug reports which refer to this issue:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=401439
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=350482
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=401439
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=508489

---

From: dann frazier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 09:26:34 -0700

> Maybe it would make sense to backport those fixes in the debian kernel for lenny.

Yeah, I was just waiting for these to go upstream. Now that they are,
it shouldn't be a problem.

> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=508489

Appreciated, thanks!

-- 
dann frazier

---

From: dann frazier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 15:54:36 -0700

> > http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=c298be74492bece102f3379d14015638f1fd1fac;hp=088af9a6e05d51e7c3dc85d45d8b7a52c3ee08d7

Unfortunately, b) is an (hppa-specific) ABI breaker. I'm guessing its
the changes to struct mod_arch_specific, but I haven't proven that
yet.

We could try ignoring the change - but I'm not sure how dangerous that
would be. Is this structure known to modules, or is it just used in
the core? That is, if you tried to load modules built w/ this patch
into a kernel that didn't have this patch, would that be safe?

-- 
dann frazier

---

From: Helge Deller <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 01:13:27 +0100

> the changes to struct mod_arch_specific, but I haven't proven that

You are right.

> into a kernel that didn't have this patch, would that be safe?

Modules and kernel must fit. This means, if you apply this patch you
will have to rebuild all modules as well. Mixing new kernel and old
modules (or the other way round) will not work.

Helge