Subject: linux-image-2.6.17-2-parisc: XFS module will not load

From: Kurt Fitzner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 08:20:26 -0700

Package: linux-image-2.6.17-2-parisc
Version: 2.6.17-9
Severity: critical
Justification: breaks the whole system

The following error is returned when attemtping to load the xfs module:
FATAL: Error inserting xfs (/lib/modules/2.6.17-2-parisc/kernel/fs/xfs/xfs.ko): Invalid module format

dmesg reveals this:
module xfs relocation of symbol xfs_iext_destroy is out of range (0x3ffeffeb in 17 bits)

This error occured on a PARISC HP 9000 C160 workstation.  It is unknown whether it occurs on other PARISC systems.

This makes selecing xfs during install impossible. It will, of course, render an existing system unbootable if it uses xfs and upgrades to this kernel.

-- System Information:
Debian Release: 4.0
  APT prefers testing
  APT policy: (500, 'testing')
Architecture: hppa (parisc)
Shell:  /bin/sh linked to /bin/bash
Kernel: Linux 2.6.17-2-parisc
Locale: LANG=en_CA.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=en_CA.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)

Versions of packages linux-image-2.6.17-2-parisc depends on:
ii  initramfs-tools [linux-initra 0.85b      tools for generating an initramfs
ii  module-init-tools             3.3-pre3-1 tools for managing Linux kernel mo

linux-image-2.6.17-2-parisc recommends no packages.

-- debconf information:
  shared/kernel-image/really-run-bootloader: true
  linux-image-2.6.17-2-parisc/preinst/failed-to-move-modules-2.6.17-2-parisc:
  linux-image-2.6.17-2-parisc/preinst/initrd-2.6.17-2-parisc:
  linux-image-2.6.17-2-parisc/postinst/bootloader-error-2.6.17-2-parisc:
  linux-image-2.6.17-2-parisc/preinst/elilo-initrd-2.6.17-2-parisc: true
  linux-image-2.6.17-2-parisc/preinst/abort-install-2.6.17-2-parisc:
  linux-image-2.6.17-2-parisc/postinst/create-kimage-link-2.6.17-2-parisc: true
  linux-image-2.6.17-2-parisc/postinst/old-initrd-link-2.6.17-2-parisc: true
  linux-image-2.6.17-2-parisc/prerm/would-invalidate-boot-loader-2.6.17-2-parisc: true
  linux-image-2.6.17-2-parisc/preinst/bootloader-initrd-2.6.17-2-parisc: true
  linux-image-2.6.17-2-parisc/preinst/already-running-this-2.6.17-2-parisc:
  linux-image-2.6.17-2-parisc/postinst/old-system-map-link-2.6.17-2-parisc: true
  linux-image-2.6.17-2-parisc/postinst/kimage-is-a-directory:
  linux-image-2.6.17-2-parisc/prerm/removing-running-kernel-2.6.17-2-parisc: true
  linux-image-2.6.17-2-parisc/preinst/overwriting-modules-2.6.17-2-parisc: true
  linux-image-2.6.17-2-parisc/postinst/depmod-error-initrd-2.6.17-2-parisc: false
  linux-image-2.6.17-2-parisc/preinst/lilo-has-ramdisk:
  linux-image-2.6.17-2-parisc/preinst/abort-overwrite-2.6.17-2-parisc:
  linux-image-2.6.17-2-parisc/postinst/depmod-error-2.6.17-2-parisc: false
  linux-image-2.6.17-2-parisc/postinst/bootloader-test-error-2.6.17-2-parisc:
  linux-image-2.6.17-2-parisc/postinst/old-dir-initrd-link-2.6.17-2-parisc: true
  linux-image-2.6.17-2-parisc/preinst/lilo-initrd-2.6.17-2-parisc: true

---

From: Bastian Blank <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 17:27:58 +0100

severity 401439 important
reassign 401439 linux-2.6
tags 401439 moreinfo
thanks

> Justification: breaks the whole system

No, it does not.

> FATAL: Error inserting xfs (/lib/modules/2.6.17-2-parisc/kernel/fs/xfs/xfs.ko): Invalid module format

Please check that with 2.6.18.

Bastian

-- 
Power is danger.
		-- The Centurion, "Balance of Terror", stardate 1709.2

---

From: Kurt Fitzner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 14:47:08 -0700

2.6.18 (as packaged in linux-image-2.6.18-3-parisc_2.6.18-6_hppa.deb)
has the same problem on my machine.