Subject: Re: lintian: [new check] init script in level S must only use commands from /sbin:/bin

From: Felipe Sateler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 22:46:15 -0300

On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 19:53:01 +0200 =?utf-8?q?Martin-=C3=89ric_Racine?=
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> On systems with a separate /usr filesystem, several boot scripts in level S
> break because they use commands from /usr/bin or /usr/sbin. Culprits include
> scripts for essential packages that perform system initialization.

As of stretch, /usr is mounted by the initramfs. There is no longer
any reason to not use binaries from /usr. This bug should then be
closed.

-- 
Saludos

---

From: Martin-Éric Racine <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 09:24:49 +0300

> any reason to not use binaries from /usr. This bug should then be

That assumption is (no pun intended) a far stretch.

The only way that /usr can be mounted by initramfs is if it resides on
a local disk. This won't succeed if it resides on a network disk.

That was the entire point of having that standard of using binaries
only in /bin and /sbin in the first place.

Martin-Éric

---

From: Felipe Sateler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 10:31:51 -0300

> a local disk. This won't succeed if it resides on a network disk.

Not so. Both initramfs-tools and dracut are perfectly able to mount
nfs volumes (and even weirder things like iscsi devices).

> only in /bin and /sbin in the first place.

The problem with this is that nobody did the effort to keep this
working in all supposedly supported use cases, and better solutions
are available. See the january thread on merged /usr for more details,
but essentially, the initramfs is already a minimal boot  environment,
and it can be dynamically created with the resources required by the
current system, instead of cramming inside anything that could
conceivably be used during early boot.

-- 

Saludos,
Felipe Sateler