Subject: lintian: [new check] init script in level S must only use commands from /sbin:/bin

From: Martin-Éric Racine <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 19:53:01 +0200

Package: lintian
Version: 1.23.27
Severity: wishlist

On systems with a separate /usr filesystem, several boot scripts in level S
break because they use commands from /usr/bin or /usr/sbin. Culprits include
scripts for essential packages that perform system initialization.

It would be desirable for Lintian to check that scripts that delcare level S 
in their LSB header _only_ use commands from /bin and /sbin.

Note:  as Manoj noted, it would be pointless to add this to Policy, since
maintainers are already expected to verify this. Thus, Lintian would introduce 
this check as additional idiot-proofing, to ensure that systems can factually 
be built with a separate /usr filesystem.

- -- System Information:
Debian Release: 4.0
  APT prefers testing
  APT policy: (550, 'testing')
Architecture: powerpc (ppc)
Shell:  /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash
Kernel: Linux 2.6.18-imac
Locale: LANG=fi_FI.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=fi_FI.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)

Versions of packages lintian depends on:
ii  binutils               2.17-3            The GNU assembler, linker and bina
ii  diffstat               1.43-2            produces graph of changes introduc
ii  dpkg-dev               1.13.24           package building tools for Debian
ii  file                   4.17-5            Determines file type using "magic"
ii  gettext                0.16.1-1          GNU Internationalization utilities
ii  intltool-debian        0.35.0+20060710.1 Help i18n of RFC822 compliant conf
ii  libparse-debianchangel 1.0-1             parse Debian changelogs and output
ii  man-db                 2.4.3-5           The on-line manual pager
ii  perl [libdigest-md5-pe 5.8.8-7           Larry Wall's Practical Extraction 

lintian recommends no packages.

- -- no debconf information