Subject: Bug#425113: rhythmbox: Genre nearly useless for Jamendo plugin

From: Matijs van Zuijlen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 10:22:13 +0200

Package: rhythmbox
Version: 0.10.0-3
Severity: wishlist

The Jamendo genre field seems to be completely free-form for the album
author, so in the Genre section of Rhythmbox, it now shows:

"Electro-Dub"
"Electro-dub"
"Electro Dub"
"Electro-dub " (Yes, that's an extra space)
"électro-dub"

for a total of 1748 genres, with many doubles like this. Most genres have
only one artist in it (there are 2178 artists, or about 1.25 artists per
genre).

It would already help a lot if:
- Whitespace was normalized
- Case was ignored
- Characters like - and , would be treated as space.
This would reduce the list above to two.

OTOH, it seems the Jamendo site doesn't do very much with the genre, but
instead uses tags for organizing the albums.

Maybe the Jamendo plugin should use the tags instead of the genre?

-- System Information:
Debian Release: lenny/sid
  APT prefers unstable
  APT policy: (500, 'unstable')
Architecture: powerpc (ppc)

Kernel: Linux 2.6.18-4-powerpc
Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/bash

Versions of packages rhythmbox depends on:
ii  dbus                      1.0.2-5        simple interprocess messaging syst
ii  gconf2                    2.18.0.1-3     GNOME configuration database syste
ii  gnome-icon-theme          2.18.0-3       GNOME Desktop icon theme
ii  gstreamer0.10-alsa [gstre 0.10.12-2      GStreamer plugin for ALSA
ii  gstreamer0.10-esd [gstrea 0.10.5-5       GStreamer plugin for ESD
ii  gstreamer0.10-gnomevfs    0.10.12-2      GStreamer plugin for GnomeVFS
ii  gstreamer0.10-plugins-bas 0.10.12-2      GStreamer plugins from the "base" 
ii  gstreamer0.10-plugins-goo 0.10.5-5       GStreamer plugins from the "good" 
ii  gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugl 0.10.5-2       GStreamer plugins from the "ugly" 
ii  gstreamer0.10-x           0.10.12-2      GStreamer plugins for X11 and Pang
ii  libart-2.0-2              2.3.19-3       Library of functions for 2D graphi
ii  libatk1.0-0               1.18.0-2       The ATK accessibility toolkit
ii  libavahi-client3          0.6.18-5       Avahi client library
ii  libavahi-common3          0.6.18-5       Avahi common library
ii  libavahi-glib1            0.6.18-5       Avahi glib integration library
ii  libbonobo2-0              2.18.0-2       Bonobo CORBA interfaces library
ii  libbonoboui2-0            2.18.0-5       The Bonobo UI library
ii  libc6                     2.5-7          GNU C Library: Shared libraries
ii  libcairo2                 1.4.6-1        The Cairo 2D vector graphics libra
ii  libdbus-1-3               1.0.2-5        simple interprocess messaging syst
ii  libdbus-glib-1-2          0.73-2         simple interprocess messaging syst
ii  libexpat1                 1.95.8-3.4     XML parsing C library - runtime li
ii  libfontconfig1            2.4.2-1.2      generic font configuration library
ii  libfreetype6              2.2.1-5        FreeType 2 font engine, shared lib
ii  libgconf2-4               2.18.0.1-3     GNOME configuration database syste
ii  libglade2-0               1:2.6.0-4      library to load .glade files at ru
ii  libglib2.0-0              2.12.12-1      The GLib library of C routines
ii  libgnome-keyring0         0.8.1-2        GNOME keyring services library
ii  libgnome-media0           2.18.0-2+b1    runtime libraries for the GNOME me
ii  libgnome2-0               2.18.0-4       The GNOME 2 library - runtime file
ii  libgnomecanvas2-0         2.14.0-2       A powerful object-oriented display
ii  libgnomeui-0              2.18.1-2       The GNOME 2 libraries (User Interf
ii  libgnomevfs2-0            1:2.18.1-1     GNOME Virtual File System (runtime
ii  libgnutls13               1.6.2-2        the GNU TLS library - runtime libr
ii  libgpod1                  0.4.2-2        a library to read and write songs 
ii  libgstreamer-plugins-base 0.10.12-2      GStreamer libraries from the "base
ii  libgstreamer0.10-0        0.10.12-5      Core GStreamer libraries and eleme
ii  libgtk2.0-0               2.10.12-1      The GTK+ graphical user interface 
ii  libhal1                   0.5.9-2        Hardware Abstraction Layer - share
ii  libice6                   1:1.0.3-2      X11 Inter-Client Exchange library
ii  liblircclient0            0.8.0-9.2      LIRC client library
ii  libmusicbrainz4c2a        2.1.4-1        Second generation incarnation of t
ii  libnautilus-burn4         2.18.1-1       Nautilus Burn Library - runtime ve
ii  libnotify1 [libnotify1-gt 0.4.4-3        sends desktop notifications to a n
ii  liborbit2                 1:2.14.7-0.1   libraries for ORBit2 - a CORBA ORB
ii  libpango1.0-0             1.16.4-1       Layout and rendering of internatio
ii  libpng12-0                1.2.15~beta5-1 PNG library - runtime
ii  libpopt0                  1.10-3         lib for parsing cmdline parameters
ii  libsexy2                  0.1.11-2       collection of additional GTK+ widg
ii  libsm6                    2:1.0.3-1      X11 Session Management library
ii  libsoup2.2-8              2.2.100-1      an HTTP library implementation in 
ii  libtotem-plparser1        2.16.6-1       Totem Playlist Parser library - ru
ii  libx11-6                  2:1.0.3-7      X11 client-side library
ii  libxcursor1               1:1.1.8-2      X cursor management library
ii  libxext6                  1:1.0.3-2      X11 miscellaneous extension librar
ii  libxfixes3                1:4.0.3-2      X11 miscellaneous 'fixes' extensio
ii  libxi6                    1:1.0.1-4      X11 Input extension library
ii  libxinerama1              1:1.0.2-1      X11 Xinerama extension library
ii  libxml2                   2.6.28.dfsg-1  GNOME XML library
ii  libxrandr2                2:1.2.1-1      X11 RandR extension library
ii  libxrender1               1:0.9.2-1      X Rendering Extension client libra
pn  python                    <none>         (no description available)
ii  python-gnome2             2.18.2-1       Python bindings for the GNOME desk
ii  python-gtk2               2.10.4-2       Python bindings for the GTK+ widge
ii  python-support            0.6.4          automated rebuilding support for p
ii  python2.4                 2.4.4-4        An interactive high-level object-o
ii  zlib1g                    1:1.2.3-14     compression library - runtime

Versions of packages rhythmbox recommends:
ii  avahi-daemon                  0.6.18-5   Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD daemon
ii  gnome-control-center          1:2.18.1-1 utilities to configure the GNOME d
ii  gnome-volume-manager          2.17.0-2   GNOME daemon to auto-mount and man
ii  hal                           0.5.9-2    Hardware Abstraction Layer
ii  notification-daemon           0.3.7-1    a daemon that displays passive pop
ii  scrollkeeper                  0.3.14-13  A free electronic cataloging syste
ii  sound-juicer                  2.16.4-1   GNOME 2 CD Ripper
ii  yelp                          2.18.1-1   Help browser for GNOME 2

-- no debconf information

---

From: Sven Arvidsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 21:06:05 +0200

forwarded 425113 http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=310154
thanks

> Maybe the Jamendo plugin should use the tags instead of the genre?

Hi,

I very much agree, the genre field is basically useless, especially so
for Jamendo and similar places. The good news is that Rhythmbox have the
basics for tags, so I hope it will be used in the future.

In the mean time, I have marked this bug as forwarded to the upstream
developers, you may wish to subscribe here,
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=310154

-- 
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson
http://www.whiz.se
PGP Key ID 760BDD22