Subject: Bug#425664: please support album shuffle

From: Thomas Bushnell BSG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 23:25:56 -0700

Package: rhythmbox
Version: 0.10.0-3
Severity: wishlist

--- Please enter the report below this line. ---

I'm told that rhythmbox used to have this important feature, and it was removed. I know it's customary
to improve gnome by removing functionality, but...

so the idea is to have a shuffle mode which plays complete albums instead of tracks; when that shuffle
mode is on, the system will play through to the end of the album, and then select a new album at random
and play all of it in order, and then the next album.

this is particularly helpful for classical music, which you can then organize with each piece as an
"album".

the ipod gets this right, quite pleasingly.  so do most other unixoid music players. it's time for
rhythmbox to join the rest of us.

--- System information. ---
Architecture: i386
Kernel:       Linux 2.6.18-4-686

Debian Release: lenny/sid
  500 unstable        ftp.us.debian.org 
  500 testing         ftp.debian-unofficial.org 
  500 stable          security.debian.org 
  500 oldstable       http.us.debian.org 

--- Package information. ---
Depends                                  (Version) | Installed
==================================================-+-===============
gconf2                               (>= 2.10.1-2) | 2.18.0.1-3
libart-2.0-2                           (>= 2.3.18) | 2.3.19-3
libatk1.0-0                            (>= 1.13.2) | 1.18.0-2
libavahi-client3                       (>= 0.6.13) | 0.6.19-2
libavahi-common3                       (>= 0.6.10) | 0.6.19-2
libavahi-glib1                         (>= 0.6.12) | 0.6.19-2
libbonobo2-0                           (>= 2.15.0) | 2.18.0-2
libbonoboui2-0                         (>= 2.15.1) | 2.18.0-5
libc6                                   (>= 2.5-5) | 2.5-8
libcairo2                               (>= 1.4.0) | 1.4.6-1
libdbus-1-3                              (>= 0.94) | 1.0.2-5
libdbus-glib-1-2                         (>= 0.73) | 0.73-2
libexpat1                              (>= 1.95.8) | 1.95.8-3.4
libfontconfig1                          (>= 2.4.0) | 2.4.2-1.2
libfreetype6                              (>= 2.2) | 2.2.1-5
libgconf2-4                            (>= 2.13.5) | 2.18.0.1-3
libglade2-0                           (>= 1:2.5.1) | 1:2.6.0-4
libglib2.0-0                           (>= 2.12.9) | 2.12.12-1
libgnome-keyring0                         (>= 0.8) | 0.8.1-2
libgnome-media0                                    | 2.18.0-2+b1
libgnome2-0                            (>= 2.17.3) | 2.18.0-4
libgnomecanvas2-0                      (>= 2.11.1) | 2.14.0-2
libgnomeui-0                           (>= 2.17.1) | 2.18.1-2
libgnomevfs2-0                      (>= 1:2.17.90) | 1:2.18.1-2
libgnutls13                           (>= 1.5.3-0) | 1.6.2-2
libgpod1                                           | 0.4.2-2
libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0       (>= 0.10.12) | 0.10.12-2
libgstreamer0.10-0                    (>= 0.10.12) | 0.10.12-5
libgtk2.0-0                            (>= 2.10.3) | 2.10.12-2
libhal1                                 (>= 0.5.9) | 0.5.9-2
libice6                               (>= 1:1.0.0) | 1:1.0.3-2
liblircclient0                                     | 0.8.0-9.3
libmusicbrainz4c2a                      (>= 2.1.4) | 2.1.4-1
libnautilus-burn4                                  | 2.18.1-1+b1
libnotify1                              (>= 0.4.4) | 0.4.4-3
libnotify1-gtk2.10                                 | 
liborbit2                            (>= 1:2.14.1) | 1:2.14.7-0.1
libpango1.0-0                          (>= 1.16.4) | 1.16.4-1
libpng12-0                           (>= 1.2.13-4) | 1.2.15~beta5-2
libpopt0                                 (>= 1.10) | 1.10-3
libsexy2                                           | 0.1.11-2
libsm6                                             | 2:1.0.3-1
libsoup2.2-8                           (>= 2.2.98) | 2.2.100-1
libtotem-plparser1                     (>= 2.16.1) | 2.16.6-1
libx11-6                                           | 2:1.0.3-7
libxcursor1                             (>> 1.1.2) | 1:1.1.8-2
libxext6                                           | 1:1.0.3-2
libxfixes3                            (>= 1:4.0.1) | 1:4.0.3-2
libxi6                                             | 1:1.0.1-4
libxinerama1                                       | 1:1.0.2-1
libxml2                                (>= 2.6.28) | 2.6.28.dfsg-1
libxrandr2                            (>= 2:1.2.0) | 2:1.2.1-1
libxrender1                                        | 1:0.9.2-1
python2.4                              (>= 2.3.90) | 2.4.4-4
zlib1g                                (>= 1:1.2.1) | 1:1.2.3-15
python                                             | 2.4.4-6
python-support                            (>= 0.2) | 0.6.4
dbus                                               | 1.0.2-5
gstreamer0.10-gnomevfs                             | 0.10.12-2
gstreamer0.10-plugins-base                         | 0.10.12-2
gstreamer0.10-plugins-good                         | 0.10.5-5
gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly                         | 0.10.5-2
libgstreamer0.10-0                                 | 0.10.12-5
gstreamer0.10-alsa                                 | 0.10.12-2
 OR gstreamer0.10-audiosink                        | 
python-gnome2                                      | 2.18.2-1
python-gtk2                                        | 2.10.4-2
gnome-icon-theme                                   | 2.18.0-3
gstreamer0.10-x                                    | 0.10.12-2