Subject: rhythmbox: scans music library on startup

From: Paul Wise <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 10:17:55 +1000

Package: rhythmbox
Version: 0.10.0-3
Severity: wishlist

I'd like it if rhythmbox could have a better scheme for detecting
changed files/dirs. At the moment, it seems to scan the whole library on
startup. I'd like it if it could only scan once every X days or scan
slowly over a period of time or scan a dir when it starts playing a file
in that dir.

-- System Information:
Debian Release: lenny/sid
  APT prefers unstable
  APT policy: (500, 'unstable'), (1, 'experimental')
Architecture: i386 (x86_64)

Kernel: Linux 2.6.21-1-amd64 (SMP w/2 CPU cores)
Locale: LANG=en_AU.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=en_AU.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash

Versions of packages rhythmbox depends on:
ii  dbus                      1.0.2-5        simple interprocess messaging syst
ii  gconf2                    2.18.0.1-3     GNOME configuration database syste
ii  gnome-icon-theme          2.18.0-3       GNOME Desktop icon theme
ii  gstreamer0.10-alsa [gstre 0.10.12-2      GStreamer plugin for ALSA
ii  gstreamer0.10-esd [gstrea 0.10.5-5       GStreamer plugin for ESD
ii  gstreamer0.10-gnomevfs    0.10.12-2      GStreamer plugin for GnomeVFS
ii  gstreamer0.10-plugins-bas 0.10.12-2      GStreamer plugins from the "base" 
ii  gstreamer0.10-plugins-goo 0.10.5-5       GStreamer plugins from the "good" 
ii  gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugl 0.10.5-2       GStreamer plugins from the "ugly" 
ii  gstreamer0.10-x           0.10.12-2      GStreamer plugins for X11 and Pang
ii  libart-2.0-2              2.3.19-3       Library of functions for 2D graphi
ii  libatk1.0-0               1.18.0-2       The ATK accessibility toolkit
ii  libavahi-client3          0.6.19-2       Avahi client library
ii  libavahi-common3          0.6.19-2       Avahi common library
ii  libavahi-glib1            0.6.19-2       Avahi glib integration library
ii  libbonobo2-0              2.18.0-2       Bonobo CORBA interfaces library
ii  libbonoboui2-0            2.18.0-5       The Bonobo UI library
ii  libc6                     2.5-9          GNU C Library: Shared libraries
ii  libcairo2                 1.4.6-1        The Cairo 2D vector graphics libra
ii  libdbus-1-3               1.0.2-5        simple interprocess messaging syst
ii  libdbus-glib-1-2          0.73-2         simple interprocess messaging syst
ii  libexpat1                 1.95.8-3.4     XML parsing C library - runtime li
ii  libfontconfig1            2.4.2-1.2      generic font configuration library
ii  libfreetype6              2.2.1-6        FreeType 2 font engine, shared lib
ii  libgconf2-4               2.18.0.1-3     GNOME configuration database syste
ii  libglade2-0               1:2.6.0-4      library to load .glade files at ru
ii  libglib2.0-0              2.12.12-1      The GLib library of C routines
ii  libgnome-keyring0         0.8.1-2        GNOME keyring services library
ii  libgnome-media0           2.18.0-2+b1    runtime libraries for the GNOME me
ii  libgnome2-0               2.18.0-4       The GNOME 2 library - runtime file
ii  libgnomecanvas2-0         2.14.0-2       A powerful object-oriented display
ii  libgnomeui-0              2.18.1-2       The GNOME 2 libraries (User Interf
ii  libgnomevfs2-0            1:2.18.1-2     GNOME Virtual File System (runtime
ii  libgnutls13               1.6.2-2        the GNU TLS library - runtime libr
ii  libgpod1                  0.4.2-2        a library to read and write songs 
ii  libgstreamer-plugins-base 0.10.12-2      GStreamer libraries from the "base
ii  libgstreamer0.10-0        0.10.12-5      Core GStreamer libraries and eleme
ii  libgtk2.0-0               2.10.12-2      The GTK+ graphical user interface 
ii  libhal1                   0.5.9-3        Hardware Abstraction Layer - share
ii  libice6                   1:1.0.3-2      X11 Inter-Client Exchange library
ii  liblircclient0            0.8.0-9.3      LIRC client library
ii  libmusicbrainz4c2a        2.1.5-1        Second generation incarnation of t
ii  libnautilus-burn4         2.18.1-1+b1    Nautilus Burn Library - runtime ve
ii  libnotify1 [libnotify1-gt 0.4.4-3        sends desktop notifications to a n
ii  liborbit2                 1:2.14.7-0.1   libraries for ORBit2 - a CORBA ORB
ii  libpango1.0-0             1.16.4-1       Layout and rendering of internatio
ii  libpng12-0                1.2.15~beta5-2 PNG library - runtime
ii  libpopt0                  1.10-3         lib for parsing cmdline parameters
ii  libsexy2                  0.1.11-2       collection of additional GTK+ widg
ii  libsm6                    2:1.0.3-1      X11 Session Management library
ii  libsoup2.2-8              2.2.100-1      an HTTP library implementation in 
ii  libtotem-plparser1        2.16.6-1       Totem Playlist Parser library - ru
ii  libx11-6                  2:1.0.3-7      X11 client-side library
ii  libxcursor1               1:1.1.8-2      X cursor management library
ii  libxext6                  1:1.0.3-2      X11 miscellaneous extension librar
ii  libxfixes3                1:4.0.3-2      X11 miscellaneous 'fixes' extensio
ii  libxi6                    1:1.0.1-4      X11 Input extension library
ii  libxinerama1              1:1.0.2-1      X11 Xinerama extension library
ii  libxml2                   2.6.28.dfsg-1  GNOME XML library
ii  libxrandr2                2:1.2.1-1      X11 RandR extension library
ii  libxrender1               1:0.9.2-1      X Rendering Extension client libra
ii  python                    2.4.4-6        An interactive high-level object-o
ii  python-gnome2             2.18.2-1       Python bindings for the GNOME desk
ii  python-gtk2               2.10.4-2       Python bindings for the GTK+ widge
ii  python-support            0.6.4          automated rebuilding support for p
ii  python2.4                 2.4.4-4        An interactive high-level object-o
ii  zlib1g                    1:1.2.3-15     compression library - runtime

Versions of packages rhythmbox recommends:
pn  avahi-daemon                  <none>     (no description available)
ii  gnome-control-center          1:2.18.1-1 utilities to configure the GNOME d
ii  gnome-volume-manager          2.17.0-2   GNOME daemon to auto-mount and man
ii  hal                           0.5.9-3    Hardware Abstraction Layer
ii  notification-daemon           0.3.7-1    a daemon that displays passive pop
ii  scrollkeeper                  0.3.14-13  A free electronic cataloging syste
ii  sound-juicer                  2.16.4-1   GNOME 2 CD Ripper
ii  yelp                          2.18.1-1   Help browser for GNOME 2

-- 
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

---

From: Sven Arvidsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 21:40:11 +0200

forwarded 426327 http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=325215
thanks

> slowly over a period of time or scan a dir when it starts playing a file

There are a few suggestions and patches to enhance startup performance
in the upstream bug.

-- 
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson
http://www.whiz.se
PGP Key ID 760BDD22