Subject: Re: Bug#721324: [coreutils] fold: no UTF-8 support

From: Bob Proulx <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 14:50:57 -0700

forcemerge 139861 721324
thanks

Dmitry Alexandrov wrote:
> In fact, that seems to be a duplicate of Debian bug #139861 [1] dated 25
> March 2002 (wow!).

You are right and I am merging the tickets.  What I wrote there in
https://bugs.debian.org/139861#91 still applies.

The best course of action would be to get this resolved upstream with
the functionally properly integrated.  Until then this remains a known
deficiency.

Unfortunately actually getting code fixed isn't as easy as submitting
a bug report and then magically a fix appears.  For some simple things
this may be easy.  For very complex things like full UTF-8 support
this is NOT EASY.  Complex things like UTF-8 support will take MANY
HOURS of EFFORT and REVIEW.  If you think it is easy that is great
because maybe you have the programming skills to get the job done.

If anyone actually wants to get this working they should work within
the upstream project to get the code written, to get the code
reviewed, to get the code tested, and then finally get the code
released.

Bob