Subject: smbfs: Crash when trying to mount remote cifs share

From: Tobbe Eriksson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 14:21:19 +0100

Package: smbfs
Version: 3.0.28-2+b1
Severity: normal

Hi,

when trying to mount a remote share on a Iomega Network Hard Drive using 
the following command:

mount //server/stuff /mnt/server -t cifs -o ip=192.168.4.14,user=xxx,pass=xxx

it crashes. This works fine from another machine running Etch x86 but 
not with this sid AMD64 box.

I have tried with a custom 2.6.24 kernel compiled from Debian source 
with make-kpkg but result is the same.

>From dmsg:

Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at 0000000000000010 
RIP: 
 [<ffffffff88c17aad>] :cifs:cifs_strfromUCS_le+0x61/0x74
PGD a3a3c067 PUD a4734067 PMD 0 
Oops: 0002 [2] SMP 
CPU 1 
Modules linked in: nls_iso8859_1 cifs nvidia(P) binfmt_misc ppdev 
parport_pc lp parport nfs lockd nfs_acl sunrpc ac battery fuse dm_crypt 
dm_mod firewire_sbp2 loop snd_emu10k1_synth snd_emux_synth 
snd_seq_virmidi snd_seq_midi_emul snd_emu10k1 snd_seq_dummy snd_seq_oss 
snd_seq_midi snd_seq_midi_event snd_seq snd_rawmidi firmware_class 
snd_ac97_codec ac97_bus snd_pcm_oss snd_mixer_oss snd_pcm snd_seq_device 
snd_timer snd_page_alloc snd_util_mem snd_hwdep i2c_i801 atl1 emu10k1_gp 
snd i2c_core button soundcore gameport mii iTCO_wdt intel_agp pcspkr 
tsdev evdev ext3 jbd mbcache sd_mod ide_cd cdrom ata_generic usbhid hid 
ata_piix generic floppy jmicron ide_core firewire_ohci firewire_core 
crc_itu_t ahci ehci_hcd libata scsi_mod uhci_hcd thermal processor fan
Pid: 3924, comm: mount.cifs Tainted: P      D 2.6.23-1-amd64 #1
RIP: 0010:[<ffffffff88c17aad>]  [<ffffffff88c17aad>] 
:cifs:cifs_strfromUCS_le+0x61/0x74
RSP: 0018:ffff8100a3ec7908  EFLAGS: 00010246
RAX: 0000000000000000 RBX: 0000000000000000 RCX: ffffffff88c35fe0
RDX: 0000000000000000 RSI: ffff8100a4618dee RDI: 0000000000000010
RBP: ffff8100a4618dee R08: ffff8100b2cc4478 R09: ffff8100a3ec77c8
R10: 0000000000000000 R11: ffffffff802663e8 R12: ffff8100b566a1c0
R13: 0000000000000000 R14: 0000000000000010 R15: ffffffff88c35fe0
FS:  00002b17d6c6b6e0(0000) GS:ffff8100013f1c40(0000) 
knlGS:0000000000000000
CS:  0010 DS: 0000 ES: 0000 CR0: 000000008005003b
CR2: 0000000000000010 CR3: 00000000a4283000 CR4: 00000000000006e0
DR0: 0000000000000000 DR1: 0000000000000000 DR2: 0000000000000000
DR3: 0000000000000000 DR6: 00000000ffff0ff0 DR7: 0000000000000400
Process mount.cifs (pid: 3924, threadinfo ffff8100a3ec6000, task 
ffff8100a849e040)
Stack:  0000000000000001 0000000000000000 0000000000000005 
ffff8100b566a1c0
 0000000000000000 ffff8100a4618dee 0000000000000001 ffffffff88c1a50d
 ffff8100a3ec79bc ffffffff88c35fe0 ffff8100a5c67800 00000000b2cc4400
Call Trace:
 [<ffffffff88c1a50d>] :cifs:CIFS_SessSetup+0x4f6/0x7d1
 [<ffffffff88c077ca>] :cifs:cifs_setup_session+0x11d/0xbd1
 [<ffffffff80268bcd>] get_page_from_freelist+0x3d4/0x550
 [<ffffffff802845ed>] cache_alloc_refill+0xdb/0x1da
 [<ffffffff802cf55c>] find_nls+0x29/0x89
 [<ffffffff88c0ac00>] :cifs:cifs_mount+0x1bbc/0x21d7
 [<ffffffff802fe183>] idr_get_new+0xb/0x28
 [<ffffffff8028b846>] set_anon_super+0x3c/0xab
 [<ffffffff8028b80a>] set_anon_super+0x0/0xab
 [<ffffffff88bfe641>] :cifs:cifs_get_sb+0x9e/0x1bf
 [<ffffffff8028b3a6>] vfs_kern_mount+0x93/0x123
 [<ffffffff8028b485>] do_kern_mount+0x43/0xdd
 [<ffffffff8029ee68>] do_mount+0x691/0x705
 [<ffffffff80264442>] find_lock_page+0x26/0xa1
 [<ffffffff802713b8>] handle_mm_fault+0x390/0x773
 [<ffffffff80300dcf>] __up_read+0x13/0x8a
 [<ffffffff802232dc>] do_page_fault+0x430/0x7a4
 [<ffffffff80271434>] handle_mm_fault+0x40c/0x773
 [<ffffffff80291a3b>] getname+0x14c/0x191
 [<ffffffff8026e62d>] zone_statistics+0x3f/0x60
 [<ffffffff8029d839>] copy_mount_options+0xce/0x126
 [<ffffffff8029ef66>] sys_mount+0x8a/0xd4
 [<ffffffff8020bdee>] system_call+0x7e/0x83

Code: 41 c6 04 06 00 89 d8 5a 5b 5d 41 5c 41 5d 41 5e 41 5f c3 41 
RIP  [<ffffffff88c17aad>] :cifs:cifs_strfromUCS_le+0x61/0x74
 RSP <ffff8100a3ec7908>
CR2: 0000000000000010

Best regards,

Toby

-- System Information:
Debian Release: lenny/sid
  APT prefers unstable
  APT policy: (500, 'unstable')
Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)

Kernel: Linux 2.6.23-1-amd64 (SMP w/2 CPU cores)
Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/bash

Versions of packages smbfs depends on:
ii  libc6                        2.7-6       GNU C Library: Shared libraries
ii  netbase                      4.30        Basic TCP/IP networking system
ii  samba-common                 3.0.28-2+b1 Samba common files used by both th

smbfs recommends no packages.

-- no debconf information

-- 
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.