Subject: Re: Bug#466193: Skip job while on battery power option

From: Micah Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 12:08:29 -0400

Hi Adam,

Sorry for the delayed response.

* Adam Porter <[email-masked]> [2008-02-16 23:41-0500]:
> 
> When using backupninja on a laptop, it would be nice to be able to
> choose to not run certain jobs when off AC power. I don't want to use
> my limited battery power running a backup, I'd rather wait until I
> plug the system in.

This is a very good idea.

> I have modified backupninja to check if a job is not supposed to be
> run on battery power, and if not, if the system is on battery power.
> It checks for a "runonbattery" option (which defaults to "yes") in the
> main section of each backup job's config file in /etc/backup.d, and
> uses "acpi -a" and grep to check the power status.

Good approach, we will need to Recommend/Suggest on the package that
includes the /usr/bin/acpi binary (acpi).

> I'm not sure of the right way to supply a diff, so I will attach
> /usr/sbin/backupninja, changed from 0.9.4-6ubuntu4 (on my laptop,
> which runs Ubuntu...Debian on my desktop, but I don't run it without
> it being plugged in, of course). The changes are the adding of lines
> 276-291.  Then the default config file should be updated, and
> ninjahelper too, I guess, though that's over my head right now.

It doesn't look like there was anything attached to this. The best way
to provide a diff would be to take the most current version from the svn
trunk and do a unified diff against that and then send that. 

Thanks for doing this, I think it would be a very useful feature addition
Micah