Subject: Re: Any progress on the licensecheck machine-readable output front?

From: Jonas Smedegaard <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 10:24:19 +0200

Hi Francesco,

On 12-08-28 at 10:02pm, Francesco Poli wrote:
> I've just discovered /usr/lib/cdbs/licensecheck2dep5, thanks to a 
> reply from Vincent Cheng [1].
> 
> [1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2012/08/msg00367.html
> 
> As soon as I noticed that licensecheck2dep5 is part of the cdbs 
> package, I wondered why it was not part of devscripts (which looks 
> like the most obvious package where this tool should be shipped). Even 
> better, I think it should be integrated as a possible output format 
> for licensecheck itself...
> 
> Then I found out that I am not the only one with this opinion.
> In bug #472199 (I am Cc:ing its e-mail address), a number of different 
> people asked for this feature to be implemented in licensecheck and 
> you stepped in, expressing the intention to integrate this capability 
> into licensecheck.
> This sounds really great! Thanks a lot!
> 
> Unfortunately there seems to be no visible progress since August 2010...
> Is there any well-hidden progress, by chance?!?

Unfortunately only progress is in my head. :-/

I have been granted write access to devscript and have followed its 
mailinglist since back then, but not yet taken time to actually do this 
work.

I am still interested in this, and expect to make time for it in the 
upcoming months.  I have some ideas on how to support both very strict 
and (as seems most other than myself is interested in) more relaxed 
scanning.

> I am afraid that my Perl knowledge is just a smattering and it is
> rusty, too... As a consequence, I will probably not be able to help
> much with the implementation.
> But I may help with some testing and feedback, if you are interested.

You very nudging me like here is helpful for me to bump up the priority.  
So thank you for that!

I shall make noise on the bugreport when reaching something concrete to 
test, so please subscribe to that if you wanna help out.

I also kinda expect others that might wanna dive in to tackle this to 
make noise at the bugreport.  That way hopefully we avoid wasting time 
on multiple concurrent efforts (in case I continue to not come of with 
something).

 - Jonas

-- 
 * Jonas Smedegaard - idealist & Internet-arkitekt
 * Tlf.: +45 40843136  Website: http://dr.jones.dk/

 [x] quote me freely  [ ] ask before reusing  [ ] keep private