Subject: uscan: option to compare orig tarball with upstream source

From: Paul Wise <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 17:28:43 +0800

Package: devscripts
Version: 2.10.25
Severity: wishlist

I would like a uscan option --check-orig that does the following. This
would be useful for sponsors to easily check that the upstream tarball
is the same as the one provided (on mentors/etc).

Download the upstream version corresponding to the current upstream
version in debian/changelog.

If the upstream tarball is in the same format as the orig tarball, then
check all the different checksums are the same (md5/sha1/sha256/etc).

If the upstream tarball is compressed using bz2 rather than gzip, then
check that the uncompressed version of the upstream tarball matches the
uncompressed version of the orig tarball.

If upstream is in zip format (or other needs-repack format) then check
that all the files inside the upstream tarball match all the files in
the orig tarball.

Print out information about the get-orig-source target.

Print a summary of the results, here are some examples:

Upstream source matches orig tarball.

Uncompressed upstream source matches uncompressed orig tarball.
Warning: compression type matches, recompression unnecessary!

Unpacked upstream source matches unpacked orig tarball.

Unpacked upstream source matches unpacked orig tarball.
Warning: tar format used, repacking unnecessary!

Orig tarball removes files from upstream source.
<removed files>
<print get-orig-source target or Warning: no get-orig-source target!>

Upstream source differs from orig:
<diffstat here>
<print get-orig-source target or Warning: no get-orig-source target!>

When you run it with --verbose it could print the various checksums it
finds or something.

-- 
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise