Subject: Bug#485527: support for avahi

From: Jelmer Vernooij <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 01:42:18 +0200

Package: tetrinet-server
Version: 0.11+CVS20070911-1
Severity: wishlist

It would be nice if tetrinet-server supported announcing itself over
avahi so it was easier to find a server in a LAN environment.

- -- System Information:
Debian Release: lenny/sid
  APT prefers gutsy
  APT policy: (500, 'gutsy'), (500, 'unstable'), (1, 'experimental')
Architecture: i386 (i686)

Kernel: Linux 2.6.25-2-686 (SMP w/2 CPU cores)
Locale: LANG=de_DE.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=de_DE.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/bash

Versions of packages tetrinet-server depends on:
ii  libc6                         2.7-12     GNU C Library: Shared libraries

tetrinet-server recommends no packages.

- -- no debconf information

---

From: Gerfried Fuchs <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 13:46:26 +0200

block 485527 282957
thanks

> avahi so it was easier to find a server in a LAN environment.

 Are you really serious? tetrinet-server doesn't seem to work properly
in a LAN environment (see <http://bugs.debian.org/282957>), it doesn't
ship any init.d scripts that would make it run automatically, and it's
currently extremely minimalistic (and will propably stay that way).

 Out of curiosity, how would you make it annouce itself over avahi? Is
dropping a file into /etc/avahi/services/ enough for that, or would the
program to need to do anything special, too? If it's the latter, please
notice that the binary is currently only 23k big (on powerpc) and
depends only on the libc6 - adding additional dependencies isn't
something that is appreciated.

 Thanks anyway for your interest,
Rhonda

---

From: Jelmer Vernooij <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 14:30:08 +0200

> currently extremely minimalistic (and will propably stay that way).
Yep, I am :-) I'm playing tetrinet regularly inside LAN situations and we've never had
 problems getting the server to start. Maybe we're using an older version or something.

At the moment, we always have to shout the IP address to everybody who
is joining, it would be nice if we could avoid that.

> something that is appreciated.
It would involve linking to libavahi and a couple of extra lines inside
tetrinet server but it should be possible to disable this at
compile-time. 

Cheers,

Jelmer

-- 
Jelmer Vernooij <[email-masked]> - http://samba.org/~jelmer/
Jabber: [email-masked]

---

From: Gerfried Fuchs <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 15:11:09 +0200

tag 485527 wontfix
thanks

* Jelmer Vernooij <[email-masked]> [2008-06-10 14:30:08 CEST]:
> Yep, I am :-) I'm playing tetrinet regularly inside LAN situations and
> we've never had problems getting the server to start. Maybe we're
> using an older version or something.

 I guess I have to investigate a bit further here, then. I tried to
reproduce it when it was reported and if my memory doesn't trick me was
able to do so. Maybe my coding/debugging skills have enhanced in the
meantime and I'm able to track down the issue...  Thanks for your
feedback on that, then.

> is joining, it would be nice if we could avoid that.

 Reasonable wish, and I would like to fulfill it, if only ...

> >  Out of curiosity, how would you make it annouce itself over avahi?
>

 It would be disabled at compile-time in the package that gets shipped.
I don't see the request to be in any relation to the additional
dependencies it would pull in. It's nice that the package is used, but
I'm not going to prepare a patch myself for something that I don't
consider to be immensly useful. Digging into libavahi documentation for
something that would explode the ressource usage of tetrinet-server is
not really on my agenda.

 If you could provide a clear patch that would work in that direction I
though might push it upstream and maybe add some hooks into the debian
package so that a rebuild for it could be easy.

 So long,
Rhonda