Subject: Re: Bug#485527: support for avahi

From: Gerfried Fuchs <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 15:11:09 +0200

tag 485527 wontfix
thanks

* Jelmer Vernooij <[email-masked]> [2008-06-10 14:30:08 CEST]:
> Am Dienstag, den 10.06.2008, 13:46 +0200 schrieb Gerfried Fuchs:
> >  Are you really serious? tetrinet-server doesn't seem to work properly
> > in a LAN environment (see <http://bugs.debian.org/282957>), it doesn't
> > ship any init.d scripts that would make it run automatically, and it's
> > currently extremely minimalistic (and will propably stay that way).
>
> Yep, I am :-) I'm playing tetrinet regularly inside LAN situations and
> we've never had problems getting the server to start. Maybe we're
> using an older version or something.

 I guess I have to investigate a bit further here, then. I tried to
reproduce it when it was reported and if my memory doesn't trick me was
able to do so. Maybe my coding/debugging skills have enhanced in the
meantime and I'm able to track down the issue...  Thanks for your
feedback on that, then.

> At the moment, we always have to shout the IP address to everybody who
> is joining, it would be nice if we could avoid that.

 Reasonable wish, and I would like to fulfill it, if only ...

> >  Out of curiosity, how would you make it annouce itself over avahi?
>
> It would involve linking to libavahi and a couple of extra lines inside
> tetrinet server but it should be possible to disable this at
> compile-time. 

 It would be disabled at compile-time in the package that gets shipped.
I don't see the request to be in any relation to the additional
dependencies it would pull in. It's nice that the package is used, but
I'm not going to prepare a patch myself for something that I don't
consider to be immensly useful. Digging into libavahi documentation for
something that would explode the ressource usage of tetrinet-server is
not really on my agenda.

 If you could provide a clear patch that would work in that direction I
though might push it upstream and maybe add some hooks into the debian
package so that a rebuild for it could be easy.

 So long,
Rhonda