Subject: xscreensaver: new login button exists

From: Tormod Volden <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 13:36:04 +0200

> I couldn't find anything in the man page (and haven't dug in to the
> code yet) but I use xscreensaver to lock my laptop screen, and a "new
> login" button is something I don't want to have.  (This is distinct
> from debbugs#304406 which suggests that it won't work anyway - I'm
> looking for a configuration option, though I'd be happy to lose it
> altogether too.)

You can change the newLoginCommand entry in
/etc/X11/app-defaults/XScreenSaver* to something that does not exist,
and the "New login" button should go away. Maybe removing that entry
does the trick also.

Hope this helps,
Tormod

---

From: Tormod Volden <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 14:53:36 +0200

> and the "New login" button should go away. Maybe removing that entry

Correction: I looked at the code and there is no run-time check
whether the binary exists,
the button is displayed if the newLoginCommand property has been set.
So you have to remove or
comment out that entry.

Tormod

---

From: Tormod Volden <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 01:20:52 +0100

> the button is displayed if the newLoginCommand property has been set.

The xscreensaver daemon checks if the property (X resource) has been
set and is not empty. So setting it to an empty value will get rid of
the New Login button:
echo "XScreenSaver.newLoginCommand: " | xrdb -merge ;
xscreensaver-command -restart
Individual users can put "XScreenSaver.newLoginCommand: " in their
~/.Xresources file.

Adding other configuration possibilities, for instance in the
preferences GUI, is not something I will look into. However, as you
may see in bug 349000 I have plans for getting rid of the
newLoginCommand default, and leave that to the desktop environment. So
if you are using KDE, and KDE defines this newLoginCommand, they can
provide a GUI option to disable this if they want.

---

From: Tormod Volden <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 10:28:49 +0100

> provide a GUI option to disable this if they want.

I meant to reference bug #304406 above, not 349000.

Tormod