Subject: linux-image-2.6.26-1-686: upgrade from etch to lenny fails in postinst

From: Wichert Akkerman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 00:14:27 +0100

Package: linux-image-2.6.26-1-686
Version: 2.6.26-11
Severity: important

An upgrade of machine with a fairly basic install fails mysteriously:

one:/home/wichert# dpkg --configure linux-image-2.6.26-1-686
Setting up linux-image-2.6.26-1-686 (2.6.26-11) ...
Running depmod.
Running mkinitramfs-kpkg.
W: mdadm: /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf defines no arrays.
initrd.img(/boot/initrd.img-2.6.26-1-686
) points to /boot/initrd.img-2.6.26-1-686
 (/boot/initrd.img-2.6.26-1-686) -- doing nothing at /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-2.6.26-1-686.postinst line 569.
vmlinuz(/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-1-686
) points to /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-1-686
 (/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-1-686) -- doing nothing at /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-2.6.26-1-686.postinst line 569.
Running postinst hook script update-grub.
Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub
User postinst hook script [update-grub] exited with value 1
dpkg: error processing linux-image-2.6.26-1-686 (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 linux-image-2.6.26-1-686

running update-grub by hand seems to work fine, so I have no idea what is
happning here.

Wichert.

-- Package-specific info:

-- System Information:
Debian Release: lenny/sid
  APT prefers testing
  APT policy: (500, 'testing')
Architecture: i386 (i686)

Kernel: Linux 2.6.24-1-686-bigmem (SMP w/4 CPU cores)
Locale: LANG=C, LC_CTYPE=C (charmap=ANSI_X3.4-1968)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/bash

Versions of packages linux-image-2.6.26-1-686 depends on:
ii  debconf [debconf-2.0]         1.5.24     Debian configuration management sy
ii  initramfs-tools [linux-initra 0.92j      tools for generating an initramfs
ii  module-init-tools             3.4-1      tools for managing Linux kernel mo

Versions of packages linux-image-2.6.26-1-686 recommends:
ii  libc6-i686                    2.7-16     GNU C Library: Shared libraries [i

Versions of packages linux-image-2.6.26-1-686 suggests:
ii  grub                          0.97-47    GRand Unified Bootloader (Legacy v
pn  linux-doc-2.6.26              <none>     (no description available)

-- debconf information:
  linux-image-2.6.26-1-686/preinst/abort-overwrite-2.6.26-1-686:
  shared/kernel-image/really-run-bootloader: true
  linux-image-2.6.26-1-686/postinst/bootloader-error-2.6.26-1-686:
  linux-image-2.6.26-1-686/postinst/depmod-error-initrd-2.6.26-1-686: false
  linux-image-2.6.26-1-686/prerm/removing-running-kernel-2.6.26-1-686: true
  linux-image-2.6.26-1-686/postinst/old-system-map-link-2.6.26-1-686: true
  linux-image-2.6.26-1-686/preinst/abort-install-2.6.26-1-686:
  linux-image-2.6.26-1-686/preinst/lilo-has-ramdisk:
  linux-image-2.6.26-1-686/preinst/bootloader-initrd-2.6.26-1-686: true
  linux-image-2.6.26-1-686/prerm/would-invalidate-boot-loader-2.6.26-1-686: true
  linux-image-2.6.26-1-686/preinst/elilo-initrd-2.6.26-1-686: true
  linux-image-2.6.26-1-686/postinst/kimage-is-a-directory:
  linux-image-2.6.26-1-686/postinst/old-dir-initrd-link-2.6.26-1-686: true
  linux-image-2.6.26-1-686/postinst/create-kimage-link-2.6.26-1-686: true
  linux-image-2.6.26-1-686/preinst/lilo-initrd-2.6.26-1-686: true
  linux-image-2.6.26-1-686/postinst/old-initrd-link-2.6.26-1-686: true
  linux-image-2.6.26-1-686/preinst/overwriting-modules-2.6.26-1-686: true
  linux-image-2.6.26-1-686/postinst/depmod-error-2.6.26-1-686: false
  linux-image-2.6.26-1-686/postinst/bootloader-test-error-2.6.26-1-686:
  linux-image-2.6.26-1-686/preinst/failed-to-move-modules-2.6.26-1-686:
  linux-image-2.6.26-1-686/preinst/initrd-2.6.26-1-686:

---

From: Bastian Blank <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 18:21:44 +0100

reassign 510223 grub
thanks

> User postinst hook script [update-grub] exited with value 1

update-grub is supplied by grub, this looks like #499176.

Bastian

-- 
Insufficient facts always invite danger.
		-- Spock, "Space Seed", stardate 3141.9