Subject: linux-image for sparc64 sungem problems

From: Alexander Clouter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 15:37:09 +0000

Package: linux-image-2.6.24-etchnhalf.1-sparc64
Version: 2.6.24+13~etchnhalf.1

For some time, even since 2.6.18 we have had problems with the sungem 
NIC driver on our Sun Netra T1 AC200[1] where the machine is prone to 
locking up.

Then recently this month on the LKML someone posted[2] that they too 
were having problems and submitted a fix.

It would probably be worth backport this patch to the lenny 2.6.26 
kernel before general release; the patch is trivial and David Miller 
seems happy with it too.  It would save a lot of pain for some sparc64 
users out there.

Cheers

[1] http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/validateUser.do?target=Systems/Netra_T1_AC200/Netra_T1_AC200
[2] http://marc.info/?t=123393015500020&r=1&w=2

---

From: dann frazier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 11:43:45 -0700

forcemerge 508151 514624
thanks

> seems happy with it too.  It would save a lot of pain for some sparc64 

Thanks for the report; it is likely too late to get this fix included
in the initial GR of lenny, but we can likely include it in the first
update.

Would you and/or Evgeni be able to test a 2.6.26 build to verify this
fix if I provide one?

-- 
dann frazier

---

From: Alexander Clouter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 19:54:24 +0000

Hi,

> in the initial GR of lenny, but we can likely include it in the first
Sorry I missed the previous bug reports and created a dupe.  :-/

> Would you and/or Evgeni be able to test a 2.6.26 build to verify this
Guess I would be then committing myself to move to lenny sooner rather 
than later for my co-locatin box :)

Sure, why not.

Cheers

Alex

---

From: Evgeni Golov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 22:01:34 +0100

> Would you and/or Evgeni be able to test a 2.6.26 build to verify this

I've just rebuilt 2.6.29-rc3 with the patch from
http://marc.info/?l=linux-netdev&m=123393014301523&w=2
And it brought up the interface fine.

There are some comments in
http://marc.info/?l=linux-netdev&m=123400984909800&w=2
that the patch is good but prolly not enough. For me it is. Bringing
the interface up and down works fine, traffic is too.

So ACK from me to add this to Lenny r1.

Regards
Evgeni

-- 
Bruce Schneier Fact Number 765:
According to a recent survey, online buyers would trust ssl websites
much more if their web browsers replaced the lock icon with a picture
of Bruce Schneier.

---

From: dann frazier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 15:58:28 -0700

> So ACK from me to add this to Lenny r1.

I'm transferring a build w/ the fix backported to the lenny kernel to
here:
  http://people.debian.org/~dannf/bugs/514624/

If one or both of you could verify that it resolves the issue for you
as well, it'd be appreciated.

-- 
dann frazier

---

From: Alexander Clouter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 18:04:09 +0000

Hi,

> as well, it'd be appreciated.
Tested and seems to work for me.

Cheers

-- 
Alexander Clouter
.sigmonster says: Sometimes the best medicine is to stop taking something.