Subject: linux-image-openvz-686: Kernel BUG in net/ipv4/netfilter/nf_nat_core when trying to start a VPS

From: Wolfgang Frisch <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 14:08:04 +0100

Package: linux-image-openvz-686
Version: 2.6.26+17
Severity: critical
Justification: breaks the whole system

Whenever I try to start a VPS on my i686 Debian Lenny system with the
latest linux-image-openvz-686 kernel, the kernel instantly spits out a
Kernel BUG in net/ipv4/netfilter/nf_nat_core:

[  270.734195] ------------[ cut here ]------------
[  270.734238] kernel BUG at net/ipv4/netfilter/nf_nat_core.c:652!
[  270.734276] invalid opcode: 0000 [#2] SMP
[  270.734374] Modules linked in: vzethdev vznetdev simfs vzrst vzcpt
vzdquota vzmon ipv6 vzdev xt_tcpudp ipt_REDIRECT iptable_nat nf_nat
xt_helper xt_state xt_conntrack nf_conntrack_irc nf_conntrack_ftp
nf_conntrack_ipv4 nf_conntrack xt_length ipt_LOG ipt_ttl xt_tcpmss
xt_TCPMSS ipt_REJECT xt_DSCP xt_dscp xt_multiport xt_limit
iptable_mangle iptable_filter ip_tables sha256_generic aes_i586
aes_generic cbc tun reiserfs dm_crypt crypto_blkcipher fuse ipt_ULOG
x_tables nfs lockd nfs_acl sunrpc pcspkr evdev k8temp snd_hda_intel
snd_pcm snd_timer snd soundcore snd_page_alloc shpchp pci_hotplug
ati_agp agpgart button i2c_piix4 i2c_core ext3 jbd mbcache dm_mirror
dm_log dm_snapshot dm_mod raid1 md_mod sd_mod atiixp ide_pci_generic
ide_core ata_generic ohci_hcd ehci_hcd ahci usbcore libata r8169
scsi_mod dock thermal processor fan thermal_sys [last unloaded:
nf_conntrack]
[  270.737306]
[  270.737306] Pid: 2571, comm: vzctl Tainted: G      D
(2.6.26-1-openvz-686 #1 036test001)
[  270.737306] EIP: 0060:[<f8baf463>] EFLAGS: 00010282 CPU: 1
[  270.737306] EIP is at nf_nat_init+0x183/0x1b8 [nf_nat]
[  270.737306] EAX: f6d5df00 EBX: f68b3400 ECX: f8baaec0 EDX: 00000020
[  270.737306] ESI: f6897880 EDI: 00000000 EBP: f6897800 ESP: f6953eac
[  270.737306]  DS: 007b ES: 007b FS: 00d8 GS: 0033 SS: 0068
[  270.737306] Process vzctl (pid: 2571, veid: 0, ti=f6952000
task=f7954c90 task.ti=f6952000)
[  270.737306] Stack: 7c9fdfff f8bcf347 f6d7f3f4 f6897880 00000000
f6897800 f8bd0c86 00000001
[  270.737306]        00000003 0000022b f6897828 f7954c90 c035f300
009fdfff 00000000 c035e210
[  270.737306]        c035f300 f6897820 00000000 00000000 f6953efc
f6953efc f6daacc0 f8bd0ee0
[  270.737306]  Call Trace:
[  270.737306]  [<f8bcf347>] do_ve_iptables+0x1e7/0x417 [vzmon]
[  270.737306]  [<f8bd0c86>] do_env_create+0xaf1/0xb25 [vzmon]
[  270.737306]  [<f8bd0ee0>] vzcalls_ioctl+0x0/0x489 [vzmon]
[  270.737306]  [<f8bd112f>] vzcalls_ioctl+0x24f/0x489 [vzmon]
[  270.737306]  [<f8bd0ee0>] vzcalls_ioctl+0x0/0x489 [vzmon]
[  270.737306]  [<f8bcd103>] vzctl_ioctl+0x2b/0x43 [vzdev]
[  270.737306]  [<f8bcd0d8>] vzctl_ioctl+0x0/0x43 [vzdev]
[  270.737385]  [<c018e7bc>] vfs_ioctl+0x1c/0x5d
[  270.737385]  [<c018ea47>] do_vfs_ioctl+0x24a/0x261
[  270.737385]  [<c018ea8a>] sys_ioctl+0x2c/0x42
[  270.737385]  [<c0108972>] syscall_call+0x7/0xb
[  270.737385]  =======================
[  270.737385] Code: 01 00 00 64 a1 00 80 3c c0 8b 80 54 04 00 00 8b 98
8c 06 00 00 b8 02 00 00 00 e8 87 90 00 00 89 43 10 83 3d 00 b4 ba f8 00
74 04 <0f> 0b eb fe 31 db c7 05 00 b4 ba f8 3d 00 bb f8 eb 1f 8b 50 08
[  270.737385] EIP: [<f8baf463>] nf_nat_init+0x183/0x1b8 [nf_nat] SS:ESP
0068:f6953eac
[  270.741679] ---[ end trace 5a65e1d00d82cec0 ]---

That happens even if "iptable_nat" is not specified in vz.conf.
The bug doesn't occur with the old openvz kernel 2.6.24-6-fza-686.
Please drop me a line if you need additional debugging information.

-- System Information:
Debian Release: squeeze/sid
  APT prefers stable
  APT policy: (500, 'stable')
Architecture: i386 (i686)

Kernel: Linux 2.6.24-6-fza-686 (SMP w/2 CPU cores)
Locale: LANG=en_US.utf8, LC_CTYPE=en_US.utf8 (charmap=UTF-8) (ignored:
LC_ALL set to en_US.utf8) Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/bash

Versions of packages linux-image-openvz-686 depends on:
ii  linux-image-2.6.26-1-ope 2.6.26-13lenny2 Linux 2.6.26 image on
PPro/Celeron

linux-image-openvz-686 recommends no packages.

linux-image-openvz-686 suggests no packages.

-- no debconf information