Subject: file corruption using dump with rmt

From: [email-masked] (Bdale Garbee)
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 17:15:37 -0600 (MDT)

Hi!

One of the users of my Debian package of dump reported repeatable corruption
when using dump over rmt to a remote tape drive.  See the item in our bug
tracking system at http://bugs.debian.org/520927 for more information.

I've poked around a bit, but it won't be easy for me to reproduce the problem.
Does this ring any bells with you?

Bdale

---

From: Stelian Pop <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 18:20:19 +0200

> Does this ring any bells with you?

This sounds a lot like the kind of problems that can be encountered
when dumping a live filesystem.

In order to completly rule out any network related corruptions, I
would suggest to try doing a dumping locally (into a file in /tmp for
example), and try restoring (or comparing) this dump.

As for the live filesystem problem, the only way to confirm that
this is the cause is, well, to umount (or mount R/O) the filesystem
before dumping.

While you're at it, try to force a fsck on this filesystem, just in
case the filesystem is really corrupt...

Stelian.
-- 
Stelian Pop <[email-masked]>