Subject: slim: should register/deregister sessions by default

From: Darren Salt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 23:49:38 +0100

Package: slim
Version: 1.3.0-1
Severity: minor

slim should register and deregister X sessions by default. Doing so makes
handling things such as lock-on-suspend (via ACPI scripts, for example)
easier to implement; if the session is not registered and no X terminals are
open (i.e. no ptys are open), then eeepc-acpi-scripts (for example) cannot
find the owner of the X session and promptly falls back on root, thus causing
the likes of xtrlock to require the root password.

I'm currently using these two lines in my /etc/slim.conf:

sessionstart_cmd	exec sessreg -a -l :0 %user
sessionstop_cmd		exec sessreg -d -l :0 %user

This is sufficient to prevent the problem; unless this is fixed soon, either
by fixing slim or providing a better X session detection method for
eeepc-acpi-scripts, I will make sure that this is noted in debian/NEWS for
eeepc-acpi-scripts 1.1.0.

-- 
| Darren Salt    | linux or ds at              | nr. Ashington, | Toon
| RISC OS, Linux | youmustbejoking,demon,co,uk | Northumberland | Army
|   <URL:http://www.youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk/> (PGP 2.6, GPG keys)

I am Flintstone of Borg. You will be yabbadabbassimilated.