Subject: mailman: Please include the mmdsr script from upstream /contrib

From: Cristian Rigamonti <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 20:19:31 +0200

Package: mailman
Severity: wishlist

The upstream source package contain a very useful script to produce daily
statistics and error reports: /contrib/mmdsr

Why is this not included in the Debian package?

-- System Information:
Debian Release: lenny/sid
  APT prefers unstable
  APT policy: (500, 'unstable'), (1, 'experimental')
Architecture: i386 (i686)

Kernel: Linux 2.6.18-rc1-cri (PREEMPT)
Locale: LANG=it_IT.utf8, LC_CTYPE=it_IT.utf8 (charmap=UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/bash

-- 
GPG/PGP Key-Id 0x943A5F0E      -    http://www.linux.it/~cri/cri.asc

---

From: Thijs Kinkhorst <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 17:29:10 +0200

> Why is this not included in the Debian package?

It can not simply be copied into the package as it will not work without 
editing the script, currently.

cheers,
Thijs

---

From: Adam McGreggor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 17:37:40 +0100

> editing the script, currently.

To have it included, we'd probably need a patch to:
    (a) alter the paths to something more debianistic
    (b) use some e.g. debconf majick to receive/store the mail 
        addresses to be defined as:
        (i)     SENDER=
        (ii)    RCPTS=
    (c) Handle MYUID=/RUNAS= (but see below)

lines 277 -> 290 of 
    ~mailman-coders/mailman/2.1 : /contrib/mmdsr (revision 1198) [1]
could possibly be re-implemented (i'd be inclined to use /proc/$$ :
can't remember how portable that is, mind); saying that, were I to 
re-write, I'd probably be more inclined to change the test to check if
the user were a member of the appropriate group (i.e., e.g.  for
Debian, 'list'), rather than root, or a specified user. That might,
however, break portability. I guess debconf could take an array of
users, and use the array for populating the MYUID (as it currently
stands) variable/definition. 

Thoughts?

[1] http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mailman-coders/mailman/2.1/annotate/head%3A/contrib/mmdsr
-- 
``Who's Whom -- a sort of Who's Who for pedants.''
  (Marcus Brigstocke, from `The 99p Challenge')