Subject: Bug#531221: still will not fix??

From: Frederik Schwarzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 13:32:42 +0100

> I read all of the opinions in the long thread.
> But I saw little respect or weight given to Debian's
> very reason for existence.  ALL the justifications for
> "won't fix" are not Debian-ian.

Well, there are clearly at least two opinions about that.

I see it this way:
1) there is a standard, so it's nothing the Okular guys invented.
2) the argument, this limitation endangers our freedon also stands for
the GPL. It clearly endangers my freedom to just sell the software
modified without opening the sources. I mean ... why do I not have the
freedom to do that?

Well, I do not want to do it but this discussion reminds me a bit of
some GPL haters that also argue it is a restrictive and thus non-free
license because of the "limitations".

We want all the world to respect our GPL limitations to keep things
free. So we should respect other people's right to restrict their
works. If you disagree, discuss it with the author who applied that
limitation.

As a disclaimer: I am neither a KDE packager nor an Okular developer,
so it's just another opinion.